Opinion, Speak Up

Speak Ups 2/13

Kevin Vikander, freshman

“I guess it’s a day where it’s more socially acceptable to say how you feel about someone else. You’re happy for everyone around campus who’s with someone, and you’re happy just for yourself.”

Gustavo Martinez, senior

“Valentine’s Day is a day to, first of all, remember the ones we love, not only a loved one like a relationship with someone but also family and just a day to show that love you feel for everybody.”

Krystina Scott, sophomore

“A day of celebrating the strong relationship between you and loved ones. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a boyfriend or girlfriend. Most times it is, but if you’re single, you can celebrate the love between your friends, like have a girls’ night out.”

Jaimie McPhedran, freshman

“It means having a really good night with people I care about a lot, even if it’s not a boyfriend.”

Ambika Rautray, sophomore

“I don’t really believe in love. For me, Valentine’s Day isn’t the typical boyfriend, girlfriend holiday. I love my family, so my valentine is usually my mom, and she’ll mail me something.”

Tyler Goodman, senior

“I think it’s a commercial holiday, but at its core, when it’s used for good, it’s an opportunity to show your affection.”

Jasmine Holmes, senior

“For me, it’s not going to be relevant until I’m married. … But it’s a cool time for couples to enjoy with purity.”

About Author

Ashley Martinez Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...