Singles should save the anger, spread the love

Valentine’s Day has gained a negative reputation among the single population. I hear the same complaints every year; it’s a “Hallmark Holiday,” or a day for couples to brag about being happy. Many have even dubbed the holiday as “Singles’ Awareness Day.”

This last attitude toward Valentine’s Day is the most telling. It insinuates that being single on the day of love is some sort of failure and hints at discontentment about being alone. This attitude needs to change.

College students are in a transitional time of life. There is nothing wrong with being single at this age or, for that matter, with being in a relationship. There is no “right” stage that everyone should be in.

With that in mind, let’s stop shaming couples that are happy with their romantic lives. There’s nothing quite like a jealous friend to ruin your Valentine’s Day buzz. Lashing out at the couples on Valentine’s Day won’t make anyone less single, and it can hurt people in the process.

Lovers aren’t looking down on singles with pity; they’re simply trying to enjoy the day together. Instead of putting those couples down, let’s collectively decide to be happy for them. Relationships are work, after all, and they deserve a day to celebrate what they have accomplished.

If you’re truly unhappy about being single on Valentine’s Day, think of it as a chance to re-evaluate your romantic situation. Without being negative and self-critical, consider how your choices have contributed to your single status. Is there something you can change to set yourself up to meet new people? Is it just bad luck?

After some self-reflection, make Valentine’s Day resolutions for the year. Set goals for yourself, whether it is to ask someone out on a date or just to become friendlier with the gender to which you’re attracted. Like anything else, make these goals realistic and attainable, that way you can feel good about putting in effort to achieve your goal.

Finally, be sure to enjoy the holiday. Spend time with friends, watch your favorite movies, or have a “me” day and treat yourself to whatever makes you feel good. Resolve to be a happy single this Valentine’s Day.

Amanda Wood is a junior majoring in ecosystem science and policy.

***For more ideas: Check out The Miami Hurricane’s suggestions in Edge.***

About Author

Amanda Wood

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Singles should save the anger, spread the love”

1. fdgbgvvbre says:

Fuck off; I’m tired of people telling me I’m unlikeable. So hell yeah I’m gonna try and make couples suffer on Valentine’s Day.

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...