Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

“As White as Milk, as Red as Blood” paints conflict of the teenage heart

As White as Milk as Red as Blood

courtesy: italingua.ning.com

Everyone remembers the challenge of working up the nerve to talk to a high school crush. For anyone who doesn’t, there are hundreds of Hollywood flicks chronicling the universal woes of being a teenager. Finding a film that approaches this with a fresh angle rivals the struggle of finally admitting your feelings. Yet the Italian film “As White as Milk, as Red as Blood,” which is showing in Cosford this Wednesday, manages to do so with quirkiness and originality.

Based on the Italian best-selling young adult novel, “As White as Milk, as Red as Blood” follows Leo, an impulsive class clown intrigued by colors and their meanings. He lives freely until he realizes the dangers of not acting on your dreams soon enough. A new professor forces Leo to recognize that his dream is worthwhile.

One of Italy’s most sought after stars, Luca Argentero, portrays the cool professor who jokingly tugs and pulls until he gets the truth out of Leo. Filippo Scicchitano embodies Leo with his wild curls and sensitive gaze. The up-and-comer is sure to continue his ascent in Italian cinema. Playing the love interest, Gaia Weiss proves her versatility as the fragile redhead after her main role in this year’s “The Legend of Hercules.”

The film’s palette, costumes, locations and soundtrack come together, adding new dimensions to the novel. The soundtrack provided by award-winning Italian rock band, Modà, is as melancholic and full of emotion as the film.

Even the film’s set stands out. Rather than the typical teenage rooms shown in Hollywood movies, the rooms in the film are as messy and full of life as the characters.

Unafraid to jump from the trivial afflictions of adolescence to more difficult subjects, “As White as Milk, as Red as Blood” sincerely faces both with the innocence of the teenage heart. Drawing parallels to in-class readings of Dante, the film eloquently and courageously asks questions we all ask ourselves far past our high school years, challenging how much someone is willing to sacrifice for dreams, for friends and for strangers.

If you go:

Cosford Cinema

Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014

6:30 pm

Luisa Andonie

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...