Campus Life, News

Program offers cash for carpooling

Carpooling to campus just got more lucrative.

The University of Miami has partnered with South Florida Commuter Services to pay students $250 for carpooling at least ten times until April. Each member in the carpool can earn up to $250. Carpoolers must live within three miles of each other, and more than two miles from the Coral Gables campus.

The service was launched Jan. 23, and it is still a pilot program. Outreach Representative Suzell Hopman hopes that students will begin to see the benefits of carpooling even when the campaign is over.

Since Jan. 20, 344 people have applied, and there continues to be new applicants each day, Hopman said.

“Our hope is that we can implement the same program in the fall,” she said. “We won’t use the same money incentive, but we’re aiming to be part of the UM culture by then.”

Outreach Specialist Nelly Navarro started the program at UM as an environmentally friendly way of reducing parking congestion.

The other large Miami campus, Florida International University, has more than 3,000 applicants, but only at UM can students, faculty and staff be paid to carpool.

South Florida Commuter Services reached out to the Association for Commuter Students (ACS) in September 2013. There are also plans to reach out to the Commuter Assistant Program so Commuter Assistants can encourage incoming freshmen to carpool as well.

Commuter Assistants fulfill similar roles to Residential Assistants, but focus more on commuters’ transition to the university.

“We’re in the beginning stages of planning it, but it would most likely be an event where their representatives would come to campus and give more information about the carpool program and other resources,” said Stefania Pinto, ACS vice president.

According to Nick Poynter, manager of customer service, carpoolers will be able to share one parking pass and return unused ones. Parking passes cost between $250 and $475, depending on the zone and amount of time the pass is used.

Students can also register two cars under one permit to promote carpooling, Poynter said.

Upon registering, students can either sign up with friends, or if none live near them, the service will pair them with another student that lives nearby.

However, some students like freshman Amelia Bahamonde don’t feel comfortable being paired with a stranger.

“It can be awkward to carpool with someone I don’t know. That’s why I haven’t signed up for the program,” she said.

Freshman Alejandro Carballido disagrees with Bahamonde.

“It’s a great way to meet people, and I don’t think this should discourage anyone from carpooling,” Carballido said.

Students who have already signed up, such as freshman Lauren Gonzalez, did not hesitate and jumped on the opportunity.

“We started carpooling the day after we got the email for this program,” she said. “We were even more shocked to find out that we had the same schedule, so this worked out perfectly.”

For students to receive $250, they must register before Feb. 28 and record the dates they carpooled. To apply, visit www.get2um.com.

Alina Zerpa

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...