News Briefs 2/10

Valentine Cards

UGenerations will be sponsoring a tabling event where students will have the chance to make Valentine’s Day cards for their grandparents from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday in the UC Breezeway.

Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell will be visiting campus at 7 p.m. on Tuesday to speak about his latest book, “David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants.” In this work, Gladwell looks into what happens when people confront “giants” in the form of powerful opponents, armies and mighty warriors as well as disability, misfortune and oppression. This is a Books and Books event and will take place in the UM Student Activities Center third floor ballrooms.

Taxes

The IRS and the Free File Alliance, a coalition of industry-leading tax software companies, launched the 2014 Free File program. This allows every taxpayer who has an average income of less than $58,000 can visit irs.gov/freefile to complete their federal tax returns for free. For more information on the Free File program, visit freefilealliance.org.

Lovefest concert

LoveFest Miami 2014 will host a Valentine’s Day Concert at the BankUnited Center at 7:30 p.m. on Friday. The lineup will combine hip-hop and R&B music, and will feature Wale, K. Michelle, Meek Mill and Marcus Cooper. Tickets start at $45. For more information, visit BankUnitedCenter.com.

Cooking Class

“A Love Affair with Sweets Cooking Class” will take place from 6:30 -8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 11 in the Wellness Center. The menu will include chocolate silk tartlet, red heart chocolate-covered oreos, and dulce de lèche crêpes. The cost of the class, which includes cooking instruction, food tasting, and recipes is $20 for UM students and Wellness Center members; $25 for non-members.

Soccer League

The deadline to register for the intramural indoor soccer league for the spring semester is Tuesday, Feb. 11. A $40 refundable deposit is due at the time of the registration, in room 210 of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center. For more information, call 305-284-8501.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...