News Briefs 2/10

Valentine Cards

UGenerations will be sponsoring a tabling event where students will have the chance to make Valentine’s Day cards for their grandparents from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday in the UC Breezeway.

Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell will be visiting campus at 7 p.m. on Tuesday to speak about his latest book, “David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants.” In this work, Gladwell looks into what happens when people confront “giants” in the form of powerful opponents, armies and mighty warriors as well as disability, misfortune and oppression. This is a Books and Books event and will take place in the UM Student Activities Center third floor ballrooms.

Taxes

The IRS and the Free File Alliance, a coalition of industry-leading tax software companies, launched the 2014 Free File program. This allows every taxpayer who has an average income of less than $58,000 can visit irs.gov/freefile to complete their federal tax returns for free. For more information on the Free File program, visit freefilealliance.org.

Lovefest concert

LoveFest Miami 2014 will host a Valentine’s Day Concert at the BankUnited Center at 7:30 p.m. on Friday. The lineup will combine hip-hop and R&B music, and will feature Wale, K. Michelle, Meek Mill and Marcus Cooper. Tickets start at $45. For more information, visit BankUnitedCenter.com.

Cooking Class

“A Love Affair with Sweets Cooking Class” will take place from 6:30 -8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 11 in the Wellness Center. The menu will include chocolate silk tartlet, red heart chocolate-covered oreos, and dulce de lèche crêpes. The cost of the class, which includes cooking instruction, food tasting, and recipes is $20 for UM students and Wellness Center members; $25 for non-members.

Soccer League

The deadline to register for the intramural indoor soccer league for the spring semester is Tuesday, Feb. 11. A $40 refundable deposit is due at the time of the registration, in room 210 of the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center. For more information, call 305-284-8501.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

Miami fell behind early and could not recover Sunday afternoon, falling in the series finale to host ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...