News, Obituaries

Acclaimed writer, faculty member dies at 85

Lester Goran, founder of the University of Miami’s Creative Writing Program, passed away Thursday. He was 85 years old.

Goran started his tenure in the College of Arts and Sciences in 1960. He developed the first creative writing curriculum in 1965. He also helped establish the Masters in Fine Arts program in 1991.

According to a report in The Miami Herald, Goran died at Baptist Hospital in Kendall. The cause of death is not known.

Goran wrote 14 novels, a memoir and three short story collections in his 50-year-long writing career.  Throughout his time at UM, he taught more than 20,000 students.

Many of his works are set in his hometown Pittsburgh, Pa., growing up in government housing. He joined the Army at 16 after World War II, and became a corporal. Through the GI Bill, he attended the University of Pittsburgh. He earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees there.

Evelina Galang, director of the Creative Writing Program, considered Goran an inspiration to many writers.

“He was a bright light who made the University of Miami’s Creative Writing Program what it is today,” Galang said in a press release prepared by the College of Arts and Sciences.

Goran is survived by his wife Edythe and their three sons John, Robert and William.

About Author

Alexander Gonzalez Assistant Editor

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...