Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

“In the House” violates the boundaries of academia

In the House – France – Netflix Instant streaming

Far from the cliché teacher-student movie, “In the House” violates the boundaries of academia, thus overcoming the norms of plot execution.

A literature professor, frustrated with the lack of interest in his class, pays special attention to one gifted student, Claude, when he writes a satirical piece on a classmate’s family. While first wary of the consequences that may arise, the professor quickly falls under the intrigue of Claude’s deft observational and writing skills.

Like the manipulative student’s writing, the film attains its power with its provocative insinuations. Clipping at a gluttonous pace guided by the student’s sleek narration, the film finds its audience as attentive and concerned as the professor who created the monster. The pace pauses only on the brink to let the dangerous imagination take over.

The intellectual sophistication of the setting and delivery, however, cleverly counterbalances any repulsion the student inspires. Not only is Claude’s narration delightfully eloquent and descriptive, but also it continually evolves to incorporate the professor’s critiques, making the entire affair a learning experience.

Like a short story, every element in the movie serves a purpose, creating elliptical references. The mentions of classic French literature works, such as Flaubert’s Madame Bovary, return as allusions when they are reflected in both the film’s plot and tone.

When advising his student in developing the ending to the writing assignment, the professor explains that an ending should be two things simultaneously: it should be unpredictable, but it should also make you think that there was no other way for the story to end.

Erasing lines between should and should not, between reality and fiction, the film piques interest in a daring and risky way.

Luisa Andonie

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...