Blogs, Focus on Fitness

Focus on Fitness: Farmers Markets in the 305

Eating fresh and local doesn’t have to break the bank or take you outside of your zip code. Here are five Miami-Dade farmers’ markets that are definitely worth a visit.

1. Miami Beach Botanical Garden Market

From Jan. 8 through April 16, visitors to the Miami Beach Botanical Garden can find a wealth of local produce and artisan treats at the weekly Garden Market. Open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Wednesday, rain or shine, the market offers fresh bread from local merchant Zak the Baker and greens straight from the Little Haiti Community Garden, among other vendors. Since its founding in 2013, the market aims to “support local farmers and crafters” and to keep “more money and jobs in Miami,” according to the market’s website.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.21.57 AM

From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., the Garden Market hosts a plant sale and orchid exchange. Orchid owners can trade in their current plant for a $5 coupon to purchase a new bloom. The exchange offers and accepts all varieties of orchid and also sells palms, bromeliads and other tropical plants.

The market also offers lunchtime yoga sessions from Terra-Nova. Yogis of all experience levels are invited to attend these relaxing and invigorating classes from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. for a suggested donation of $5 for members, $10 for non-members.

For more information, visit mbgarden.org.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.16.13 AMGet Me to the Green! – 2000 Convention Center Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139

2. Farmer’s Market at Miami Children’s Hospital

Founded in 2013, the Coral Terrace Farmers’ Market is the weekly home to 30 vendors, every Wednesday year-round from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Shoppers can find a bountiful selection from organic produce and tea, fresh-made pasta and guacamole, to artisan soaps and candles. The market can be found at Miami Children’s Hospital in the courtyard between the emergency room and ambulatory care.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.25.32 AMFor more information, follow the market and it’s sister locations on Facebook at facebook.com/FloridaFreshMarket.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.16.13 AMGet Me to the Green! 3100 SW 62nd Avenue, Miami, FL 33155

3. Coral Gables Farmer’s Market

Each January, the heart of the Gables reawakens it’s locally-grown fresh market. Founded in 1991, this Saturday staple welcomes shoppers to peruse the wares of 60 vendors from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m in front of the Coral Gables City Hall, on the corner of Miracle Mile and LeJeune Road.Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.20.47 AM

The 2014 season runs from Jan. 18 through March 29. In addition to fresh Florida produce, the market offers prepared foods, baked goods, flowers and plants, free tai chi classes, gardening workshops, cooking demos and children’s activities.

For more information about this City of Coral Gables-sponsored event, visit coralgables.com.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.16.13 AMGet Me to the Green! 405 Biltmore Way, Coral Gables, FL 33134

4. Coconut Grove Organic Market

Presented by Glaser Organic Farms, this year-round market has been serving up organic goodness and gourmet raw vegan foods since 1979. From 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., the market inhabits the field at the southwest corner of Grand Avenue and Margaret Street. Shoppers can expect local and exotic produce, an impressive salad bar and a variety of vegan food products including raw pizza, pies and dairy-free ice cream.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.19.58 AMFor further info, check out the market’s website, glaserorganicfarms.com.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.16.13 AMGet Me to the Green! 3300 Grand Avenue, Coconut Grove, FL 33133

5. South Miami Farmer’s Market

Red Road and Valencia apartment dwellers, the South Miami Farmers’ Market is calling your name! This seasonal market is open every Sunday, November through May, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Founded in 2013, the South Miami market consists of 10 stalls that offer a variety of goods beyond just local and organic produce including local honey, pastries, and prepared food. Just minutes from the South Miami Metrorail, the market, previously located next to the South Miami City Hall, will assume a new location starting Feb. 2 and will make its new home on Sunset Drive at 57th Court.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.14.56 AMFor further details, visit the market site, themarketcompany.org/southmiami.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.16.13 AMGet Me to the Green! ‪Sunset Dr & SW 57th Ct‬, South Miami, FL 33143‬

Kristen Spillane

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...