News Briefs 2/6

Literary reading

The Ibis Literary Reading and Performance Series will be at 7 p.m. on Thursday and will feature Edwidge Danticat, Patricia Engel and R. Zamora Linmark in the CAS Gallery across from Pavia Garage. The event is free and open to the public.

Entrepreneur event

The 2014 LEAP Femmepreneur Success Series is a free event series that includes a panel discussion with female entrepreneurs from the community. The event will be from 6 to 9 p.m. on Feb. 12. Each program will focus on a specific industry. The event is free, but registration is required as space is limited. To register, visit femmepreneurseries.com.

Lovefest concert

LoveFest Miami 2014 will host a Valentine’s Day Concert at the BankUnited Center at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 14. The lineup will combine hip-hop and R&B music, and will feature Wale, K. Michelle, Meek Mill and Marcus Cooper. Tickets start at $45. For more information, visit BankUnitedCenter.com.

Malcolm Gladwell

Malcolm Gladwell will be visiting campus on Feb. 11 to speak about his latest book. This is a Books and Books event and will take place at 7 p.m. in the Student Activities Center third-floor ballrooms.

Gladwell’s book, “David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants,” looks into what happens when people confront “giants” in the form of powerful opponents, armies and mighty warriors as well as disability, misfortune and oppression.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...