Letter to the editor

An open letter to the student body:

Based on the results of a survey that was distributed to honors students, the Faculty Senate recently voted to phase out UM’s General Honors Program over the next four years with the intention of creating a new program in its place. While Student Government agrees that the former Honors Program needed to be updated, the decision to phase-out the program was reached before students were given the opportunity to provide their input.

As the voice of the student body on campus, Student Government felt there was a need to formally respond. On Wednesday, Senate passed legislation asking for increased cooperation and collaboration between students and administration in the future development of academic programs at the University of Miami.

This bill is just the first step in a long conversation with administration in an effort to affect academic policy at UM, and we hope you will join us in these conversations by reaching out to your Senators. Your input is instrumental and talking with your Senator is the best way to bring your concerns to our Faculty Senate student representatives. Senator contact information can be found at miami.edu/sg.

To continue meeting the needs – academic or otherwise – of the student body, we are always working to improve our outreach efforts. But we know there’s more we can do; reach out to us via our website or social media to tell us what we can do to better represent you and your needs. Student Government is always looking for ways to improve student life at UM, and we look forward to hearing your ideas on how to make UM an even better university.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

Adam Orshan

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...