Campus Life, Community, News

Butler Center volunteers to organize annual FunDay

Since 1983, FunDay has paired up Miami residents with physical or intellectual disabilities and student volunteers who serve as their buddies for a day.

This year’s event will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 15, at the Rock, on the Green and other spots around campus.

FunDay is the longest standing day of service at UM, and the students who organize the annual spring semester event come under the Butler Center for Service and Leadership.

This year marks the event’s 31st anniversary, making FunDay older than the Butler Center itself, said Lisa Cameron, co-chair of FunDay. Last year, about 750 students registered, and more than 450 special citizens are expected to come to this year’s FunDay.

“We’re hoping to have even more students come hang out with them for the day,” Cameron said.

Organizers are planning  a Western theme, with stations including FunFair, BBQ, student performers, karaoke, line dancing, arts and crafts and other activities.

All UM students are invited to participate. If engaging with people who have disabilities raises a concern, FunDay leaders will be giving out pamphlets to help students with their interactions.

In addition, more than 70 staff members will be receiving training before the event and will then be available for guidance on that day.

One of the student groups that will be helping out is called Best Buddies.

“Although many people view the buddies as people with disabilities, I have come to learn that they are not really disabled at all,” said senior Erika Jackson, membership coordinator for FunDay. “I have developed great friendships with many of the buddies.”

For Jackson, FunDay is a culmination of Best Buddies’ mission because students get to hang out for a day and participate with people who have disabilities.

Junior Natalie Falcon has participated in FunDay for the last two years.

“It was a great experience seeing the smiles on my buddies’ faces as they enjoyed their time singing karaoke, dancing around and making arts and crafts,” she said.

For more information:

What: FunDay

When: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 15

Where: The Rock, the Green and other spots on campus.

Students who want to volunteer can e-mail the organizers at fundayatum@gmail.com or go to the FunDay Facebook page.

About Author

Kenia Vasallo

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...