Campus Life, Community, News

Butler Center volunteers to organize annual FunDay

Since 1983, FunDay has paired up Miami residents with physical or intellectual disabilities and student volunteers who serve as their buddies for a day.

This year’s event will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 15, at the Rock, on the Green and other spots around campus.

FunDay is the longest standing day of service at UM, and the students who organize the annual spring semester event come under the Butler Center for Service and Leadership.

This year marks the event’s 31st anniversary, making FunDay older than the Butler Center itself, said Lisa Cameron, co-chair of FunDay. Last year, about 750 students registered, and more than 450 special citizens are expected to come to this year’s FunDay.

“We’re hoping to have even more students come hang out with them for the day,” Cameron said.

Organizers are planning  a Western theme, with stations including FunFair, BBQ, student performers, karaoke, line dancing, arts and crafts and other activities.

All UM students are invited to participate. If engaging with people who have disabilities raises a concern, FunDay leaders will be giving out pamphlets to help students with their interactions.

In addition, more than 70 staff members will be receiving training before the event and will then be available for guidance on that day.

One of the student groups that will be helping out is called Best Buddies.

“Although many people view the buddies as people with disabilities, I have come to learn that they are not really disabled at all,” said senior Erika Jackson, membership coordinator for FunDay. “I have developed great friendships with many of the buddies.”

For Jackson, FunDay is a culmination of Best Buddies’ mission because students get to hang out for a day and participate with people who have disabilities.

Junior Natalie Falcon has participated in FunDay for the last two years.

“It was a great experience seeing the smiles on my buddies’ faces as they enjoyed their time singing karaoke, dancing around and making arts and crafts,” she said.

For more information:

What: FunDay

When: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 15

Where: The Rock, the Green and other spots on campus.

Students who want to volunteer can e-mail the organizers at fundayatum@gmail.com or go to the FunDay Facebook page.

Kenia Vasallo

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...