Greek Life, News

Panhellenic Council plans for spring semester

The Panhellenic Council, a group of women who serve as the governing body for eight of the University of Miami’s sororities, has formally initiated its new members. The group is working together to plan events for the spring semester.

President Amy Halpern, a member of Alpha Delta Pi, zeroed in on a key ingredient of the Panhellenic community.

“What is really unique about Panhellenic is our commitment to sisterhood,” said Halpern, who was elected  president in November. “Each chapter has their own sisterhood, but there is also a special connection between all sorority women.”

Though many events are still in the works, Halpern said there are plans to bring a member of the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty to campus on Feb. 12 to speak to the Panhellenic members about body image and women’s empowerment.

Panhellenic’s comprised of eight sororities including: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Delta Tau, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha, Delta Gamma, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta and Delta Phi Epsilon.

Though each sorority has a specific philanthropic mission, all are based on the tenets of community service, philanthropy, scholarship and leadership.

The council presides over these sororities and helps with the organization and execution of everything from recruitment to philanthropy. This year’s council members come from four of the sororities: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha and Delta Gamma.

Panhellenic members also extend a hand out to women around the world. Though each sorority has its own philanthropy, there is also the overall philanthropy for the entire community called Circle of Sisterhood.

The Circle of Sisterhood aids women who are victims of abuse, trafficking or poverty through education. The sororities will team up to host events throughout the semester that will raise money for the cause.

One of the new council members, Kiki Rossman-Reich, is a senior nursing student and member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. She has taken over as the council’s vice president of recruitment.

Rossman-Reich, who transferred to UM from UCF, said Greek life played an important role for her as a transfer student.

“I was new to campus, and I wanted to meet new people and get involved as soon as I could,” she said. “I wanted to find something that I could do for the next three-and-a-half or four years of my life to really get involved, and I love it.”

In her position, she plans out the formal recruitment program at the start of spring semester.

Steven Priepke, assistant dean of students and director of Greek Life, said the Panhellenic community makes its mark in many ways, particularly of the important role of philanthropies.

“One of the most significant impacts the Panhellenic community has is its philanthropic activities,” Priepke said. “They raise tens of thousands of dollars in an academic year.”

Here are the eight officers of the Panhellenic Council:

·       President- Amy Halpern

·       VP of Communication- Peri Diamond

·       VP of  Philanthropy- Becca Singer

·       VP of Administration – Stephanie Schwartz

·       VP of Records- Brooke Homovec

·       VP of Coordinators- Bettina Schumacher

·       VP of Finance- Eryn Davis

·       VP of Recruitment- Kiki Rossman-Reich

Marlee Lisker

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...