Greek Life, News

Panhellenic Council plans for spring semester

The Panhellenic Council, a group of women who serve as the governing body for eight of the University of Miami’s sororities, has formally initiated its new members. The group is working together to plan events for the spring semester.

President Amy Halpern, a member of Alpha Delta Pi, zeroed in on a key ingredient of the Panhellenic community.

“What is really unique about Panhellenic is our commitment to sisterhood,” said Halpern, who was elected  president in November. “Each chapter has their own sisterhood, but there is also a special connection between all sorority women.”

Though many events are still in the works, Halpern said there are plans to bring a member of the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty to campus on Feb. 12 to speak to the Panhellenic members about body image and women’s empowerment.

Panhellenic’s comprised of eight sororities including: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Sigma Delta Tau, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha, Delta Gamma, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta and Delta Phi Epsilon.

Though each sorority has a specific philanthropic mission, all are based on the tenets of community service, philanthropy, scholarship and leadership.

The council presides over these sororities and helps with the organization and execution of everything from recruitment to philanthropy. This year’s council members come from four of the sororities: Kappa Kappa Gamma, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha and Delta Gamma.

Panhellenic members also extend a hand out to women around the world. Though each sorority has its own philanthropy, there is also the overall philanthropy for the entire community called Circle of Sisterhood.

The Circle of Sisterhood aids women who are victims of abuse, trafficking or poverty through education. The sororities will team up to host events throughout the semester that will raise money for the cause.

One of the new council members, Kiki Rossman-Reich, is a senior nursing student and member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. She has taken over as the council’s vice president of recruitment.

Rossman-Reich, who transferred to UM from UCF, said Greek life played an important role for her as a transfer student.

“I was new to campus, and I wanted to meet new people and get involved as soon as I could,” she said. “I wanted to find something that I could do for the next three-and-a-half or four years of my life to really get involved, and I love it.”

In her position, she plans out the formal recruitment program at the start of spring semester.

Steven Priepke, assistant dean of students and director of Greek Life, said the Panhellenic community makes its mark in many ways, particularly of the important role of philanthropies.

“One of the most significant impacts the Panhellenic community has is its philanthropic activities,” Priepke said. “They raise tens of thousands of dollars in an academic year.”

InfoBox:

Here are the eight officers of the Panhellenic Council:

·       President- Amy Halpern

·       VP of Communication- Peri Diamond

·       VP of  Philanthropy- Becca Singer

·       VP of Administration – Stephanie Schwartz

·       VP of Records- Brooke Homovec

·       VP of Coordinators- Bettina Schumacher

·       VP of Finance- Eryn Davis

·       VP of Recruitment- Kiki Rossman-Reich

About Author

Marlee Lisker

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...

Football players Braxton Berrios and Demetrius Jackson, soccer player Phallon Tullis-Joyce, cross co ...