Basketball, Sports

Four double-digit scorers lead Miami in win

Senior Rion Brown avoids a Norfolk State player during the game Saturday afternoon at the BankUnited Center. The Canes won 64-49. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

After dropping three games in a row, all to Atlantic Coast Conference foes, the Miami Hurricanes were finally on the winning side of things again when they beat the visiting Norfolk State Spartans, 64-49 on Saturday.

The victory marked the Canes’ first home win in 2014.

“I thought the key to the game was switching to the man-to-man and putting Erik Swoope in,” Miami coach Jim Larranaga said after the game. “His activity to end the first half was terrific. As Donnavan Kirk mentioned, we went to our scramble defense and trapped them a few times and sped them up, and we were able to stop them and get some very quick baskets.”

The Spartans (12-10, 6-2) hung with the Canes early on and even took a one-point lead with nine minutes left in the first half. It was then that Miami increased the pressure defensively and went on a 13-2 run before intermission.

With Miami (11-10, 2-6 ACC) up 31-21 to start the second half it was more of the same for the Hurricanes as they pushed their lead to 22 points and didn’t allow the Spartans to score until the visitors hit two free throws six minutes into the half.

“Yeah, it definitely caught us off guard,” said Spartans guard Pendarvis Williams when asked about Miami’s increased intensity on defense. “Like coach said, we had a couple turnovers toward the end – I threw a turnover – and they capitalized off it. And they were just trying to throw different things at us, because we were actually being successful a little bit with our offense.”

Williams led all scorers with 21 points followed by Miami’s Rion Brown, who pitched in 15.

The Canes, who played without forward James Kelly (out with an ankle injury) for the second game in a row, all shouldered the scoring load with four starters recording double-digit points.

Senior guard Garrius Adams quietly had one of his best games of the season, netting a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds to go along with four assists and a steal.

Norfolk State mounted a brief comeback midway through the second half when a Williams jumper cut the lead to 10 with six minutes left in the game. However, Miami continued its course of getting to the free-throw line frequently, making 16 of 18 in the second half.

“I really wanted to get to the foul line,” Larranaga said. “In fact, in the last seven minutes of the game, I told them ‘I want layups and free throws,’ and we were able to do that.”

The confidence boost comes at the right time for Miami with the No. 18 Pittsburgh Panthers traveling to Coral Gables for the first ACC matchup between the two on Wednesday evening.

“That’s a good win for our confidence, too,” freshman guard Manu Lecomte said. “We lost a couple of games, so now that’s a very good win.”

Upcoming Games:

Wednesday vs. Pittsburgh

(7 p.m. at the BankUnited Center)

Saturday vs. N.C. State

(2 p.m. at the BankUnited Center)

Feb. 10 at Florida State

(9 p.m. ESPNU or WVUM 90.5 FM)

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek to continue its perfect record at home Frid ...

Amy Deem and the Hurricanes will travel to Los Angeles to compete at the Power 5 Trail Blazer Challe ...

The University of Miami baseball program will host its third annual 'Bark in the Park' gam ...

Miami sophomore guard declares for NBA Draft but will not hire agent. ...

In search of its fourth series win of the spring, the Miami Hurricanes host No. 24 Virginia from Mar ...