Spring election dates approach

Welcome to the January edition of the monthly Student Government (SG) column. I’ll be highlighting all the exciting things we have in store for the semester.

One of the biggest things SG has coming up is spring elections. In these elections, you will be voting to elect new executive officers (president, vice president and treasurer) as well as new senators. This is an incredibly important time, as the people you elect will be representing you and your interests to the rest of the campus community. A detailed elections calendar, as well as other information about elections will be available on miami.edu/sg. Voting will begin Feb. 17.

ECO Agency will be running the Kill-a-Watt competition from Feb. 17 to March 7. This competition will take place across 11 buildings on campus that currently have the LUCID software installed, which tracks real-time energy use. The building that saves the most energy at the end of the competition will be crowned the winner and be given a prize. ECO will be tabling in the Hecht and Stanford residential college lobbies to provide more information.

We also have a few programs coming up later in the semester, including a trip to the Venetian Pools and the State of the U address on March 20. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for details.

I’d also like to highlight a few initiatives that have been completed. Student Government worked with Dining Services, and we are proud to say smoothies will now occasionally be available in both the Hecht-Stanford and Mahoney-Pearson dining halls. We are also excited that construction has begun on an outdoor fitness court located on the Intramural Fields near the Wellness Center.

We are also happy with how well Spring Kickoff went. A collaboration between SG and Canes Night Live, the event was a tremendous success. Around 925 students attended an evening filled with funnel cakes, whack-a-mole, a pet costume contest, a pie eating contest and much more.

Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

About Author

Adam Orshan

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...