Spring election dates approach

Welcome to the January edition of the monthly Student Government (SG) column. I’ll be highlighting all the exciting things we have in store for the semester.

One of the biggest things SG has coming up is spring elections. In these elections, you will be voting to elect new executive officers (president, vice president and treasurer) as well as new senators. This is an incredibly important time, as the people you elect will be representing you and your interests to the rest of the campus community. A detailed elections calendar, as well as other information about elections will be available on miami.edu/sg. Voting will begin Feb. 17.

ECO Agency will be running the Kill-a-Watt competition from Feb. 17 to March 7. This competition will take place across 11 buildings on campus that currently have the LUCID software installed, which tracks real-time energy use. The building that saves the most energy at the end of the competition will be crowned the winner and be given a prize. ECO will be tabling in the Hecht and Stanford residential college lobbies to provide more information.

We also have a few programs coming up later in the semester, including a trip to the Venetian Pools and the State of the U address on March 20. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for details.

I’d also like to highlight a few initiatives that have been completed. Student Government worked with Dining Services, and we are proud to say smoothies will now occasionally be available in both the Hecht-Stanford and Mahoney-Pearson dining halls. We are also excited that construction has begun on an outdoor fitness court located on the Intramural Fields near the Wellness Center.

We are also happy with how well Spring Kickoff went. A collaboration between SG and Canes Night Live, the event was a tremendous success. Around 925 students attended an evening filled with funnel cakes, whack-a-mole, a pet costume contest, a pie eating contest and much more.

Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

Adam Orshan

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...