Spring election dates approach

Welcome to the January edition of the monthly Student Government (SG) column. I’ll be highlighting all the exciting things we have in store for the semester.

One of the biggest things SG has coming up is spring elections. In these elections, you will be voting to elect new executive officers (president, vice president and treasurer) as well as new senators. This is an incredibly important time, as the people you elect will be representing you and your interests to the rest of the campus community. A detailed elections calendar, as well as other information about elections will be available on miami.edu/sg. Voting will begin Feb. 17.

ECO Agency will be running the Kill-a-Watt competition from Feb. 17 to March 7. This competition will take place across 11 buildings on campus that currently have the LUCID software installed, which tracks real-time energy use. The building that saves the most energy at the end of the competition will be crowned the winner and be given a prize. ECO will be tabling in the Hecht and Stanford residential college lobbies to provide more information.

We also have a few programs coming up later in the semester, including a trip to the Venetian Pools and the State of the U address on March 20. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for details.

I’d also like to highlight a few initiatives that have been completed. Student Government worked with Dining Services, and we are proud to say smoothies will now occasionally be available in both the Hecht-Stanford and Mahoney-Pearson dining halls. We are also excited that construction has begun on an outdoor fitness court located on the Intramural Fields near the Wellness Center.

We are also happy with how well Spring Kickoff went. A collaboration between SG and Canes Night Live, the event was a tremendous success. Around 925 students attended an evening filled with funnel cakes, whack-a-mole, a pet costume contest, a pie eating contest and much more.

Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international marketing and finance.

Adam Orshan

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...