Runner raises money for Engineers Without Borders

Elaine Golden posed for a portrait on Tuesday on the indoor track at the Wellness Center. Hallee Meltzer // Staff Photographer

Clean, running water is difficult to come by in many developing countries, so junior Elaine Golden has dedicated herself to running for clean water.

Golden will participate in her first half-marathon in the Miami Marathon on Sunday. She will run to raise money for the UM chapter of Engineers Without Borders’ (EWB) Ecuador Project. The project supports building a community’s sewage system.

“It actually provides a lot of motivation because when I’m struggling, I know it’s for something bigger, but also for me,” Golden said.

The project is a partnership between the UM EWB chapter and the community of Las Mercedes in Ecuador. They aim to connect the hundreds of homes in the community to the main sewage system.

The community is below sea level, and due to rudimentary septic tanks, flooding is frequent, causing sewage to pour into the streets. Creating a sewage system will help prevent the spread of waterborne diseases and parasites, according to sophomore Natasha Koermer, a biomedical engineering student who works with the Ecuador project and is the vice president of EWB.

“I hope to reduce the prevalence of waterborne illness just so that everyone can live healthier,” Koermer said. “I feel that people deserve those sorts of resources within their communities. It’s something we take for granted within the United States.”

Golden, an international studies major, is not an engineering student, but has a passion for water and sanitation.

“I think there are basic things that every person should have, and I get very upset when people don’t have those basic things and I think access to water and sanitation is so fundamental,” she said. “It’s a very important place to start in making sure everyone has a good quality of life.”

This project is a five-year partnership. Students have already gone on an assessment trip and hope to begin implementation of the plan over the summer.

The government of Las Mercedes is funding half the project, and EWB has a group goal of raising $20,000 to buy pipes and materials to connect houses to the sewer line. The group has already raised $15,000, according to Koermer.

Golden’s hope is to raise $1,000. She has suggested people sponsor her for $13 – a dollar for every mile.

Golden sees this half-marathon as a good way to achieve her personal fitness goals while promoting a cause she is passionate about.

“It’s a nice balance,” she said. “Having the cause provides a lot of motivation. When you’re running and things get really hard, you can just think about that sometimes people have to walk really long distances for clean water and then sometimes people just don’t have it.”

Golden attributes her goals to attending the LeaderShape Institute conference through UM,  which helped students refine their project ideas. With just the hope of universal access to water and sanitation, Golden learned skills at the conference to refine her plans.

“It was a catalyst,” she said. “It helped me take a broad idea that I had been considering in the back of my mind and take that from just an idea and transform that into concrete action steps and plans.”

She hopes to tailor her international studies honors thesis to combine her background in Geographic Information Systems and the area of water and sanitation.

Her future plans include applying to the Peace Corps, various non-governmental organizations and possibly earning a master’s degree in international development.

“I definitely see myself spending most of my time abroad,” Golden said. “I know there are serious issues within the states and it’s important for me to understand those, but the most pressing needs for people, I think, are outside of the United States.”

To donate money to the cause, visit ssl.charityweb.net/ewbusa/pfp/wogforwater.htm.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Runner raises money for Engineers Without Borders”

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...