News Briefs 1/30

Social justice week

Social Justice Week continues on Thursday with the program Mental Health Disparities from noon to 1 p.m. on the Green. ActivisUM will be from 7 to 9 p.m. in the SAC South and will feature the organizations that are part of the SJW’s Steering Committee.

Social media program

The Toppel Career Center will be hosting “Leveraging Social Media for Your Job Search” from 11 a.m. to noon on Monday. The program will showcase how to use different social media platforms effectively for networking and job searches.

Lunar new year

The Asian American Students Association and the Chinese Students and Scholars Association will be celebrating the Lunar New Year from 7 to 11 p.m. on Monday at the UC Patio. The night will feature free food, traditional and modern performances, drums and gongs. There will also be cultural tents featuring calligraphy, opera mask face painting and the art of tea. The event is free and students are encouraged to wear red or a traditional outfit as part of the event’s customs.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Five years and two days after being fired as FIU’s football coach, at least one report declares form ...

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...