News, Science and Technology

Professor studies minds

Amishi Jha, a psychology professor at UM who specializes in mindfulness research, received a federal grant to study short-term mindfulness training (MT) in high-stress groups. Naturally, she turned to college students.

Freshmen studying introductory psychology visited Jha to participate in sessions. The goal was to track students’ mind-wandering patterns throughout the semester.

“We hypothesized that mind-wandering would change over the course of the semester,” she said.

The study, which was recently published in the journal Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, split the 58 student participants into control and experimental groups.

“We know that around finals, psychological health goes down, and mind-wandering increases over the course of the semester,” Jha said.

While this was evident in the control group, the students who practiced mindful breathing, body scans, walking meditation and other exercises actually improved.

“This is the first step in being able to say stress over the semester can really be significant, and what this study suggests is that even a short-form mindfulness course may help us keep this at bay,” Jha said.

Jha’s mindfulness research on undergraduates is unique to UM, as is her use of brain-imaging equipment in the Brain Connectivity and Cognition Laboratory on San Amaro Drive.

She plans to expand the study by looking at the benefits of MT on student leaders, as well as its correlation to issues such as binge drinking and the freshman 15. Jha would also like to study students involved in Greek life and resident assistants.

And she hopes to see it all come to fruition within the next three years.

“The university’s willingness to embrace mindfulness and the mindfulness initiative is a really good sign of their care and concern for their students,” Jha said.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...