News, Science and Technology

Professor studies minds

Amishi Jha, a psychology professor at UM who specializes in mindfulness research, received a federal grant to study short-term mindfulness training (MT) in high-stress groups. Naturally, she turned to college students.

Freshmen studying introductory psychology visited Jha to participate in sessions. The goal was to track students’ mind-wandering patterns throughout the semester.

“We hypothesized that mind-wandering would change over the course of the semester,” she said.

The study, which was recently published in the journal Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, split the 58 student participants into control and experimental groups.

“We know that around finals, psychological health goes down, and mind-wandering increases over the course of the semester,” Jha said.

While this was evident in the control group, the students who practiced mindful breathing, body scans, walking meditation and other exercises actually improved.

“This is the first step in being able to say stress over the semester can really be significant, and what this study suggests is that even a short-form mindfulness course may help us keep this at bay,” Jha said.

Jha’s mindfulness research on undergraduates is unique to UM, as is her use of brain-imaging equipment in the Brain Connectivity and Cognition Laboratory on San Amaro Drive.

She plans to expand the study by looking at the benefits of MT on student leaders, as well as its correlation to issues such as binge drinking and the freshman 15. Jha would also like to study students involved in Greek life and resident assistants.

And she hopes to see it all come to fruition within the next three years.

“The university’s willingness to embrace mindfulness and the mindfulness initiative is a really good sign of their care and concern for their students,” Jha said.

About Author

Lyssa Goldberg Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...