Campus Life, News

LEAD Conference showcases diversity, opportunity

Jackson Bowser, a freshman, and Arlisia Ables, a junior, go fist-to-fist in a game of rock, paper, scissors during 'Canes Lead. The game was used as an icebreaker during the leadership conference, to help students feel more comfortable around each other. Ashley McBride // Contributing Photographer

Jackson Bowser, a freshman, and Arlisia Ables, a junior, go fist-to-fist in a game of rock, paper, scissors during ‘Canes Lead. The game was used as an icebreaker during the leadership conference, to help students feel more comfortable around each other. Ashley McBride // Contributing Photographer

On Saturday, students began their day with a rock, paper, scissors tournament, touching elbows with each other, and acting out Sebastian at a football game, all in the name of leadership.

The Canes LEAD (Learn, Empower, Aspire and Discover) Conference aimed to equip students with skills for communicating and thriving in diverse groups. The event was co-hosted by the Butler Center for Service and Leadership and Multicultural Student Affairs.

Tiffany Ford, one of two co-chairs of the event thought the collaboration between the two departments was ideal. She is also chair of the Unity Roundtable, a group of student leaders on campus who organize diverse programming that goes beyond the reach of any student organization.

“The goal was to bring together two offices and to give students a fun but also very empowering day where we can all work on building our leadership skills, but also understand how important it is to be able to lead in a diverse situation,” Ford said.

The first half of the day featured business leaders from the university and community. They discussed topics such as networking, gender and orientation, diversity in the workplace, women in the workplace, and more.

Junior Arlisia Ables left with a good takeaway from each speaker.

“Everything is empowerment,” she said. “I left both of my sessions feeling like I’m about to change the world.”

The keynote speaker was Vernon Wall, the current Director of Business Development for LeaderShape, Inc., an organization that strives to enhance leadership skills for college students. The main topic of his talk was privileges and identities, and how being aware of them can help everyone to succeed.

“Sing for freedom, and sing for justice,” he said to the audience of about 100 students.

With a focus on social justice, Wall’s talk included personal experiences from his own life where he was made aware of his own privileges and biases.

During the second half of the day, sessions covered topics of identity and inequality, including an activity designed to simulate the social and political stratifications of real life, and how a simple solution isn’t always so simple.

“I gained an understanding that your goal needs to be equitable, and you need to be aware of everyone’s situation,” said freshman Ibk Awodele, who attended the conference.

Co-Chair Connor Adam was satisfied with Canes LEAD, especially for as the first conference for the event.

“No matter your race, your color, your ethnicity, your background, your gender, your sexual orientation or whatever, I just wanted people to feel welcome and come to an event where they could be themselves,” he said.

Ashley McBride

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Here was a man who they aspired to be. Here was a millionaire. A local legend. An NFL star. A man wh ...

The Miami Hurricanes, fueled by exceptional pitching in both ends of a doubleheader, refuse to surre ...

Miles Wilson has narrowed his choices to Miami and Auburn, and will announce his decision after visi ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Thursday’s graduate degree ceremony was the largest in UM history ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...

Game times have been set for the 2017 Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship, and sixth-see ...

The University of Miami women's golf team waited around for nearly three hours to begin Day 2 c ...

Edgar Michelangeli capped the regular season with a walk-off, three-run home run, as Miami earned it ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Friday at the NCAA C ...