Administration, News

Dean wins award for chemistry research

Leonidas Bachas, the dean for the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS), won Lab of the Year for his chemistry research lab on Friday.

The award was given out by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. Environmental Health recognizes one lab each year in one of the university’s three campuses. There are more than 1,000 research labs across the Gables campus, the Miller School of Medicine and RSMAS.

“The Bachas Lab was selected for exceptional cooperation and compliance with local, State and Federal regulations regarding laboratory safety,” said Jairo Betancourt, Biosafety Manager for the UM Office of Environmental Health and Safety in a CAS press release.

Betancourt noticed the lab’s long history of excellent reviews. Environmental Health strives to improve the standard of health, safety and environmental regulations.

The office also provides training and support to avoid biological, chemical and occupational hazards.

Bachas’ lab focuses on the use of nanoparticles to break down environmental contaminate. Graduate students Jeramy Baum, Ed Miller, Elsayed Zahran and Megan Gillespie are part of the lab, too.

“I am honored to share this award with an exceptional team who works hard every day to ensure the lab environment meets the highest standards of safety,” Bachas said in a CAS press release.

About Author

Alexander Gonzalez Assistant Editor

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

The Miami Hurricanes will make the short trip to Swanson Stadium in Fort Myers, Fla., for a midweek ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...