Administration, News

Dean wins award for chemistry research

Leonidas Bachas, the dean for the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS), won Lab of the Year for his chemistry research lab on Friday.

The award was given out by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. Environmental Health recognizes one lab each year in one of the university’s three campuses. There are more than 1,000 research labs across the Gables campus, the Miller School of Medicine and RSMAS.

“The Bachas Lab was selected for exceptional cooperation and compliance with local, State and Federal regulations regarding laboratory safety,” said Jairo Betancourt, Biosafety Manager for the UM Office of Environmental Health and Safety in a CAS press release.

Betancourt noticed the lab’s long history of excellent reviews. Environmental Health strives to improve the standard of health, safety and environmental regulations.

The office also provides training and support to avoid biological, chemical and occupational hazards.

Bachas’ lab focuses on the use of nanoparticles to break down environmental contaminate. Graduate students Jeramy Baum, Ed Miller, Elsayed Zahran and Megan Gillespie are part of the lab, too.

“I am honored to share this award with an exceptional team who works hard every day to ensure the lab environment meets the highest standards of safety,” Bachas said in a CAS press release.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: cURL error 56: Failure when receiving data from the peer