Blogs, Edge, Free Foreign Film Friday

‘Summer in February’ strays from genre, contains plot twists

Summer in February posterDan Stevens fans who are mourning his departure from “Downton Abbey” can find consolation in his role in  “Summer in February,” the new period drama playing in Cosford from Friday to Sunday.

Based on the novel by Jonathan Smith, the story paints a realistic portrait of the dangers of confusing love for an artist with love for his work. Set during the early 20th century in the artist community town of Cornwall, England, this story follows Florence (Emily Browning) as she tries to make a choice between long-time friends Gilbert (Dan Stevens) and AJ (Dominic Cooper). However, she soon realizes  she has less of a choice than she originally believed.

Despite what the sweet title may indicate, the film quickly departs from the Jane Austen and “Downton Abbey” pattern of British romantic drama, evolving into a study of love and a critique of its motivations. Elements that are uncommon in this genre make up the twists of this surprising narrative. An undelivered proposal, a sexual assault, and a poisoning attempt set the story apart from neatly planned period dramas.
Instead of romantically criticizing a woman for saying no, this film realistically examines what happens to a woman who says yes too lightly – and for the wrong reasons. It is difficult for a modern audience to imagine a time when marriage was of such great importance that women had to make decisions based on having a reliable future rather than on sentiment. It is even harder for us to imagine ignoring both reason and heart for fear of waiting too long and ending up with neither.

What makes the film timelessly relatable is the push and pull between the friends competing for a woman’s sentiments. It is not the first time that Dan Stevens’ upside-down, boyish smile competes with Dominic Cooper’s dark, insinuating eyebrows (see “Sense and Sensibility”). However, unlike their previous encounter, which ends in a happy rectangle, the love triangle in “Summer in February” is truer to life.
In keeping with the bittersweetness of the story and the duel between the two men, the English countryside displays the duality of harsh cold and peaceful oasis. In almost every scene, there is one frame that is set up like a painting, mirroring the film’s focus on painters.
Smith himself adapted the novel, which sets the story apart from many others. It is what gives it its integrity and realism.
“Do you know who you are deep down?” Florence asks herself at one point during the film. “I wish I did,” she responds. This moment mimics the sentiment of the movie, which asks provocative questions that are sometimes beyond comprehensible answers.

For More Information:

What: “Summer in February”
Where: Cosford Cinema
When: Friday to Sunday; 6:45 p.m. Friday; 3:15 p.m. Saturday; 7:15 p.m. Saturday; 5:30 p.m. Sunday
For more information, check out a full schedule at cosfordcinema.com/showtime-calendar.

Luisa Andonie

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...