Sports Briefs 01/27

Women’s tennis

Miami used a 4-0 sweep over LSU on Saturday to secure a place in the ITA National Indoor Championships.

Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno pulled out a crucial doubles point. The duo was behind early but came back to win in a tiebreak 7-6 (3).

Albuquerque followed up that victory with a strong singles outing, defeating LSU’s Abigail Owens 6-3, 6-3.

“I was real happy with the girls in terms of being unselfish in doubles, especially when it came down to the wire,” coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Nobody was rushing to try and get off the court.”

Melissa Bolivar won an important singles match over Skylar Holloway, 6-3, 6-1. While the Hurricanes were ahead in three other matches at the time, Bolivar proved to be the deciding point after Miami grabbed both doubles points.

Miami will face Florida Gulf Coast at 4 p.m. Thursday before the Canes turn their attention to the ITA Championships. They will head to Charlottesville, Va., for the national tournament Feb. 7-10.

Track & Field

The Hurricanes track and field program traveled to Lexington, Ky., for the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet this past weekend.

Alyssa McClure and Phillip Dorsett were among several athletes to place high in their individual events. Each earned top-10 finishes in the 60m race. Amber Monroe placed fourth in women’s shot put and Alexis Wright came in ninth in the women’s triple jump.

“A very solid performance for us this weekend,” track director Amy Deem said. “We had an opportunity to compete against some of the best teams in the country and our kids showed they belong.”

Oregon, Kentucky, Florida and Baylor were among the elite schools represented at the meet.

Taneisha Cordell set a school record for Miami in the 600-yard run during the first day of competition. Alysha Newman won the women’s pole vault at 4.31m, a school and meet record.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...