Sports Briefs 01/27

Women’s tennis

Miami used a 4-0 sweep over LSU on Saturday to secure a place in the ITA National Indoor Championships.

Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno pulled out a crucial doubles point. The duo was behind early but came back to win in a tiebreak 7-6 (3).

Albuquerque followed up that victory with a strong singles outing, defeating LSU’s Abigail Owens 6-3, 6-3.

“I was real happy with the girls in terms of being unselfish in doubles, especially when it came down to the wire,” coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Nobody was rushing to try and get off the court.”

Melissa Bolivar won an important singles match over Skylar Holloway, 6-3, 6-1. While the Hurricanes were ahead in three other matches at the time, Bolivar proved to be the deciding point after Miami grabbed both doubles points.

Miami will face Florida Gulf Coast at 4 p.m. Thursday before the Canes turn their attention to the ITA Championships. They will head to Charlottesville, Va., for the national tournament Feb. 7-10.

Track & Field

The Hurricanes track and field program traveled to Lexington, Ky., for the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet this past weekend.

Alyssa McClure and Phillip Dorsett were among several athletes to place high in their individual events. Each earned top-10 finishes in the 60m race. Amber Monroe placed fourth in women’s shot put and Alexis Wright came in ninth in the women’s triple jump.

“A very solid performance for us this weekend,” track director Amy Deem said. “We had an opportunity to compete against some of the best teams in the country and our kids showed they belong.”

Oregon, Kentucky, Florida and Baylor were among the elite schools represented at the meet.

Taneisha Cordell set a school record for Miami in the 600-yard run during the first day of competition. Alysha Newman won the women’s pole vault at 4.31m, a school and meet record.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...

A freshman from Stratham, N.H., Rebecca Ripley of the Miami women's basketball team sat down wi ...

University of Miami standout Shakima Wimbley is headed to the 2017 IAAF World Championships in Londo ...