Basketball, Sports

Canes come up empty on road trip to Notre Dame, Clemson

Freshman Adrienne Motley takes a jumpshot during the game against North Carolina State last Sunday. The Lady Canes won 80-71. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Traffic: Freshman Adrienne Motley takes a tough jumper during the women’s game against N.C. State last Sunday. Motley led Miami with 14 points in their most recent loss to Clemson. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

CLEMSON, S.C. – After an impressive victory over No. 20 NC State last weekend, the Hurricanes came up winless on their two-game road trip. Miami fell to No. 2 Notre Dame 79-52, and to Clemson 60-52.

The Canes (11-9, 3-4 ACC) faced a stiff challenge in Notre Dame, which leads the nation in scoring, assists and 3-point percentage. The second-ranked Fighting Irish had won 40 consecutive regular season games, including 20 straight at the Joyce Center. Notre Dame defeated the four ranked teams they have played this season by an average of more than 16 points per game.

Miami, however, hung tough in the first half of Thursday night’s game. While the Hurricanes were out-rebounded from the opening possession – Notre Dame had four offensive boards in the first minute – Miami built a six-point lead in the opening period.

It should be noted, though, that in its previous game Notre Dame notched a 16-point victory after falling behind by 12 points at Tennessee. The Irish, no strangers to the idea of poise under pressure, hit their stride and took a nine-point lead into the half.

The nation’s No. 2 team proved much more difficult to handle in the second half. Notre Dame (18-0, 5-0 ACC) started the period on a 10-0 run, increasing the lead to as many as 35 points en route to the 79-52 win.

Forward Natalie Achunwa and guard Lindsay Allen scored 23 and 16 respectively for the Irish, and also anchored a defense that held the Hurricanes to a weak 30 percent field goal clip. Miami managed just 11 percent shooting from 3-point range (1-for-9).

“For us to win in this conference, we’re going to have to score a lot more than we did tonight,” coach Katie Meier said. “We have to play with more poise and maturity.”

Miami then traveled to Clemson for a Sunday afternoon matchup with the Tigers (10-11), who were 1-5 in ACC play heading into the game.

A winnable game was marred by more uncharacteristic shooting woes for Miami. Despite 14 points from freshman Adrienne Motley, Miami shot just 17-for-66 from the field, including 3-of-23 from 3-point range, a dismal 13 percent clip.

“We’re playing with very little confidence,” Meier said. “As a coach, I need to figure out how I can get the best from my players moving forward.”

Looking ahead, it doesn’t get any easier for the Hurricanes. Miami will host No. 3 Duke on Thursday night, and then travels to Chapel Hill, N.C. to take on a talented North Carolina squad on Sunday.

The Canes will attempt to turn the tables and get their conference record back over .500.

About Author

AJ Ricketts

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...