Committee to address football busing concerns

Students and faculty have come together to organize a task force charged with improving student bus transportation and ticketing for Sun Life Stadium.

Under the leadership of Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely, this committee will address some of the issues that the system has been faced with in recent years.

“The original mission [of the busing system]is to take the students to the game and take them back,” Whitely said. “And while we’re doing that, we’re taking students home at a much higher percentage that the students who go [to Sun Life Stadium]on the buses.”

Whitely mentioned that for popular games like the one against the University of Florida, students are more likely to use the buses returning to campus than the ones going to the game. For that game, there were 65 university buses that arrived at the stadium and 120 only transporting students back to campus.

“I want to relook at our entire system and look at how we’re running it,” Whitely said. “I also want to address some of the ticket issues. For some of the games there has been a ‘no-show’ factor for students.”

The task force also hopes to tackle behavioral problems on the buses.

Of the 21 members of  the task force, nine are students. Whitely said that she looked at different constituencies that would form a diverse committee.

In order to implement the policies the task force hopes to execute, students that have been appointed to the committee are asked to agree to participate by April. If they are unable or unwilling to participate, they are asked to recommend someone to take their place.

Robby Chiste, treasurer of Student Government, is one of the students that have been asked to join.

“I think there’s an excellent group of people meeting with a wide mix of viewpoints from which they have seen the system both work efficiently and struggle at times,” Chiste said.

With the task force’s first meeting coming up next week, Whitely looks forward to what the committee has to offer.

“I want to see what they think about what’s going on and the concerns over the disparity and what they think we should do about it and be more effective in running the program,” she said.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

The University of Miami baseball team isn't used to straddling the fence when it comes to being ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...