Campus Life, Community, News

“Tipping Point” author Malcolm Gladwell to speak at UM Feb. 11

Five-time New York Times bestselling author Malcolm Gladwell will be speaking at the University of Miami at 7 p.m. on Feb. 11.

Gladwell will be talking about his latest book, “David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants.” In this work, Gladwell looks into what happens when people confront “giants” in the form of powerful opponents, armies and mighty warriors as well as disability, misfortune and oppression. He seeks to show how the general population fundamentally misunderstands the meaning of advantages and disadvantages.

Gladwell is also the author of “The Tipping Point,” “Blink,” “Outliers” and “What the Dog Saw.” He aims to sift through research and academic work in sociology, psychology and social psychology to draw unexpected implications and challenge how people think.

He was named one of the 100 most influential people by Time magazine in 2005 and one of the Foreign Policy’s Top Global Thinkers in 2009. Gladwell has also worked as a staff writer at The New Yorker since 1996.

This is a Books and Books event and will take place in the UM Student Activities Center third floor ballrooms.

For more information on Gladwell, visit gladwell.com.

About Author

Ashley Martinez Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To ““Tipping Point” author Malcolm Gladwell to speak at UM Feb. 11”

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...