Edge, Music

Latin Grammy Award winner draws diverse crowd, impresses audience

Chris Botti performs with his band at "An Evening with Chris Botti" on January 17th at the Adrienne Arsht Center in the James L. Knight Center. Luisa Andonie // Contributing Photographer

Chris Botti performs with his band at “An Evening with Chris Botti” on January 17th at the Adrienne Arsht Center in the James L. Knight Center. Luisa Andonie // Contributing Photographer

An audience of old, young, local and visiting attendees crowded the University of Miami’s Gusman Concert Hall on Friday night for a serenading performance from singer-songwriter Natalia Lafourcade as a part of Festival Miami.

Lafourcade, a three-time Latin Grammy winner, is originally from Mexico. Her most recent album, “Hasta la Raiz (To the Root),” debuted at No 1. on the Mexican sales charts.

According to Gusman Hall staff, more than 600 people attended the concert, traveling from across the U.S. and all around Florida for the event. The show attracted many students, both from universities in South Florida and from other states.

Minutes after seeing an Instagram post from Natalia Lafourcade, Sam Wood, a senior at Mercer University in Atlanta, purchased her tickets and said that she couldn’t have made a better decision.

“She’s very genuine with her lyrics and she adheres to the Mexican culture way more than other Mexican artists,” Wood said. “It’s a dream come true.”

Lafourcade kicked off the show with her song “Para que Sufrir (To Suffer)” after saying a few quick words of appreciation to the audience. Throughout the evening, other songs that Lafourcade performed included “En el 2000 (In 2000),” “No Mas Llorar (No More Crying)” and “Lo que Construimos (What We Built).”

As the pop-rock singer performed her set, the energy from the audience was contagious, with endless cheering, bobbing heads, tapping feet and swaying to the beat during every song Lafourcade played.

When she began to live-record songs using only a few repeated basic melodies, the crowd went wild.

“You’re amazing, girl!” one audience member shouted.

Lafourcade also brought meaning to the songs in her performance by explaining the origin of each new tune. She spoke of her travels in South America and of love and reconnecting with the universe.

At the end of the night, the audience cheered and chanted for Lafourcade, begging her for an encore. Staying loyal to her fans, the singer returned to the stage and performed two more songs, “Maria Bonita” and “Nunca Es Suficiente.”

Nadijah Campbell

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...