Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

“Last Night” probes with questions about infidelity

As simple as a storyline could ever be, “Last Night” is, for the same reason, an insightful portrait of the delicate line between loyalty and infidelity.

With four stars of varying ethnicity, the film has a decidedly foreign feel. With Keira Knightley’s British self-composure, Sam Worthington’s Australian non-nonchalance, Guillaume Canet’s French flare, and Eva Mendes’s Miami hotness, the cast is perfect.

Like a theatrical piece, it strategically (over)considers every detail. The screenplay is crafty and rarely explicit, pairing well with the artsy flare of the cinematography that flaunts a quick succession of cuts. With its intense imitation of reality, it makes the viewer accomplice to the temptation the characters experience.

In particular, it taunts the viewer with a few questions, so make sure you watch it with someone to have a discussion with after the credits start scrolling aggravatingly soon:

• Can accusing someone of infidelity actually plant the temptation to cheat?
  • Does “when” a relationship starts matter, even years later?
  • Is cheating with your heart more unforgivable than cheating with your body?

Luisa Andonie

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...