While you were away …

Wedding held at the SAC

Alumni Nick Moore and Wendy de los Reyes married each other a few feet from where they first met in the University Center.

“We love the university so much,” de los Reyes said.

Theirs is the first marriage to be held at the new Student Center Complex. The wedding was held Dec. 21. The ceremony took place at the UC Patio, while the reception was in the center ballroom of  the SAC.

Brandon Gross, the assistant director of the Student Center Complex, helped Moore and De Los Reyes throughout the process.

“We are so happy that they chose to get married at their alma mater, and we look forward to hosting many more special events,” Gross said.

The Student Center Complex costs $1500 for the center ballroom and $1350 for alumni, faculty and staff. The UC Patio costs $1200 and $1000 for alumni, faculty and staff. Other ballrooms and rooms in the SAC can be reserved as well.

According to the Student Center’s policy, reservations involving food, amplified sound, after-hours use of the building must be made two weeks prior to the date of the event.

Pat Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, connected the couple to Gross. She was thrilled that the Student Complex was the wedding venue.

“It was a wonderful evening and proved to be the perfect venue at the U for a very special wedding of our alum and current student,” Whitely said.

The couple works on campus and is involved with the campus ministry group Campus Crusade for Christ, or Cru.

They are taking gap years before applying for graduate school. Moore is considering programs in higher education administration and de los Reyes plans to continue her study of community psychology that began at UM.

The couple met at a student organization meeting in the lower level of UC. They were e-board members of Random Acts of Kindness and resident assistants for Hecht. They dated for three years.

For more information on making a reservation, visit miami.edu/scc.

Toppel takes new turf

The Toppel Career Center has moved and is currently located behind Pavia Garage at the former site of the English Composition offices and Writing Center.

Building renovations began Dec. 2012 and despite plans for opening on Aug. 26, 2013, the official opening will take place on Feb.7.

The new center will be twice the size of its original 6,ooo-foot location. It is comprised of two buildings, a North and South wing connected by a lobby and an outdoor courtyard.

The North wing features a technology and recruiting area with interview labs, video conferencing rooms, an expanded computer lab and a lounge for employers.

The career appointment, advising area and a multipurpose room on the second floor will be housed in the South Wing.

The building will also be equipped with technology such as video conferencing and lecture capture that will allow students to view company information sessions online if they were not able to attend.

“With these two types of technologies, the goal is to continue to provide our services without allowing geography to be a roadblock,” Executive Director for Toppel Christian Garcia said in an article published in The Miami Hurricane in August.

The new career center cost approximately $4 million and was primarily funded by UM alumna Patricia Toppel, whom the building is named after along with her late husband, Harold Toppel, and the Parents Council, according to Garcia.

CHECK OUT THEMIAMIHURRICANE.COM/TMHTV FOR A VIDEO PACKAGE ON THE NEW TOPPEL

Golden addresses swirling rumors

Miami football coach Al Golden reaffirmed his commitment to the Hurricanes in a press conference last week.

While he did not specifically address any other schools, widespread speculation had attached Golden’s name to the vacant coaching job at Penn State after Bill O’Brien left that school for an NFL position.

“I’m not a candidate for any other job, and I plan on being at the University of Miami,” Golden said to the media in his Jan. 6 press conference.

Golden is a PSU alumnus who played tight end for the Nittany Lions and coached under the late Joe Paterno. Many in the college football community anticipated that Golden might jump at the chance to return to his alma mater.

“It’s one of those things where I really don’t talk about other programs or universities,” said Golden, evading questions on whether he got an offer from Penn State. “I think it’s really just important that we talk about the University of Miami and the direction that we’re going.”

Golden said his coaching staff – including defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio – would remain intact.

“We’ve made a lot of progress in a lot of different areas, but we have a long way to go, and I never fail to recognize that.”

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Spencer Dandes

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Mark Richt’s weekend began with a bunch of ninth- and 10th-grade recruits on Friday at a University ...

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...