Take part in the evolution of English

While most New Year’s resolutions seem to entail caring more—about family, health or charitable causes—mine requires caring less, specifically about grammatical mistakes.

That’s right. By 2015, my friends will no longer have to cringe in frightened anticipation of my rage when they let slip an incorrect preposition or mix up the verbs “lay” and “lie.”

I’ve realized that my tiresome habit of pouncing on every misspoken word does more to fuel my own sense of superiority than to make any meaningful contributions to the way English is spoken. No, the language will not crumble over errors that don’t even obscure a sentence’s meaning. And when we spend so much time fixated on these mistakes, we miss the opportunity to help English develop.

Of course, language will change no matter what. For example, nobody initiated the Great Vowel Shift, which took place during the 15th and 18th centuries and affected the pronunciation of certain English vowels.

However, it is possible to exercise a degree of control over the English language. The word “selfie” didn’t arise from a gradual linguistic process. Instead, it directly addresses a popular cultural phenomenon for which there was previously no word. Like sliced bread, its creation filled a void, and “selfie” soon transformed from a mere fad into the Oxford English Dictionary’s word of the year for 2013.

New vocabulary is not the only consequence of linguistic innovation. In 2014, English may stand to gain a new punctuation mark, thanks to a woman named Ellen Susan. Called the ElRey, it looks like an exclamation mark with an extra dot on top, and would act as an alternative to the apparent heartlessness of a period (“It’s fine if you’re running late.”) and the excessive enthusiasm of an exclamation mark (“It’s fine if you’re running late!”).

It has a long way to go before being incorporated onto modern keyboards and in standard font collections, but it seems to make sense – and besides, a few years ago, not many people believed your perky headshot of you in the bathroom mirror deserved its own unique place in English, either.

We have a lot more power than we realize to affect the English language, especially with social media helping fads spread. If you think English needs its own word for “the result of attempting to revive an unworkable relationship,” make it happen.

Whether we like it or not, English is going places, and my resolution for 2014 is not to follow it idly, but to take the reins and help steer its passage.

Alexa Langen is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.

Alexa Langen

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...