Sports briefs 1/16

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes are on the road to face Boston College at 7 p.m. Thursday. Miami is coming off its second ACC win of the season, a 64-62 victory over Virginia Tech.

After Thursday’s matchup with the Eagles, the Canes will return home as their conference schedule continues against N.C. State at the BankUnited Center. Tipoff for that game is set for 2 p.m. Sunday.

Miami has been paced so far this year by leading scorer Caprice Dennis, a sophomore who is averaging 13.8 points per game.

PUNTER HONORED

All-ACC punter Pat O’Donnell has won the College Football Performance Awards 2013 Punter Trophy, announced Monday.

O’Donnell set a single-season record for the Hurricanes with a 47.1-yard punt average. He landed 19 of his 53 punts inside the 20-yard line, and recorded 23 punts of 50-plus yards.

O’Donnell and linebacker Denzel Perryman were Miami’s only two players named first-team All-ACC. He will be honored for his Performance Award during halftime of the men’s basketball game against Duke next Wednesday.

Former receiver Leonard Hankerson is the only other Hurricane to win a College Football Performance Award, which he claimed in 2010.

The awards are given based on calculations that determine a player’s effectiveness and how much value he adds to his team.

NCAA UPDATE

Miami hoped it could lighten the NCAA’s scholarship reductions for the Hurricanes football team, based on the merit of UM’s previous self-imposed penalties.

However, a CBS Sports report on Wednesday revealed that the NCAA will not back off the nine total scholarships it docked Miami through the next three seasons.

A full team roster comprises 85 scholarship athletes per year, while Miami will now have to stick with 82 per year.

The Hurricanes reportedly used only 76 of their 85 alloted scholarships in 2013, attempting to prove their compliance with the NCAA investigation and soften the punishment UM received in October.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

Miami fell behind early and could not recover Sunday afternoon, falling in the series finale to host ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...