Social media fast sheds light on interactions

I always have my cellphone on me. I’ve never ignored a text message – though I have forgotten to respond to a few – and unless it’s a really busy day, I’ve been checking in to Foursquare religiously since I signed up three years ago.

Instead of reading the newspaper in the morning, I find myself scrolling through my Twitter feed to read the news of the day. I tweet and retweet interesting articles, and when I’m not reading, I’m sending silly Snapchats to my friends. I regularly post photos to Instagram and Facebook, and I must admit I get really excited when I get more than 10 “likes” on anything I post.

I can’t say I like spending this much time with my phone, though my behavior indicates otherwise. During winter break, I caught up with a friend from high school, and she talked about her experience spending a semester away from Facebook.

I decided to follow in her footsteps and make my big disconnect during the two week trip my family planned to Europe over winter break.

I wanted to go for the extreme form of disconnection, so I attempted a digital detox. In the end, I ended up deleting my applications for Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram. I kept my Foursquare and WhatsApp applications active. I had to check in across the globe – any avid Foursquare user would understand that one doesn’t simply give up the chance to collect so many points.

I thought the task of surrendering participation on four social media accounts would be easy – but my family made it difficult. Any time we’d arrive at a restaurant or hotel with Wi-Fi, all eight of my family members would take out their cellphones and connect to any of the social media networks I’d forbidden for myself.

Although I found it difficult, I did feel like I communicated with the people I was spending my time with more effectively, and I enjoyed focusing solely on my family.

Though I decided to end my hiatus from social media a day earlier than I had planned, I do believe that a detox is beneficial for shaping relationships and practicing more effective communication.

I appreciated the benefits that my absence from social media provided me with, but my fear of missing out surpasses my desire to connect with more people than those I surround myself with at any given moment. I like to feel like I’m a part of something larger.

Even so, I stand by Albert Einstein’s statement. “I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.” It’s still not that severe, but we shouldn’t let it get to that point. Put down your phone every once in a while and enjoy the company you’re around.

Stephanie Parra is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...