News Briefs 1/16

Spring Kickoff

Student Government and Canes Night Live will host Canes After Dark 8 p.m. on Friday at the Student Activities Center patio and along Miller Drive. Entertainment will include free food, fried Oreos, caricature drawings, henna tattoos, food trucks and live music.

Arts Festival

The 63rd annual Beaux Arts Festival of Art will take place on campus Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The festival will feature more than 220 art exhibitors, live music and dining options. Admission and parking are free and open to the public.

Quantum Auditions

Quantum will host auditions for its production of “Avenue Q” from 1 to 6 p.m. on Saturday in the University Center Flamingo Ballroom D.  Those interested in auditioning are asked to prepare a one-minute contemporary monologue and 16 bars of a modern musical theatre song.

Service Day

The Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service 2014 will take place on Monday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Volunteers will work alongside community members to transform Homestead Middle School in the City of Homestead. Service projects include painting murals, planting gardens, landscaping and building benches. For more information, visit the Butler Center for Service and Leadership in the Student Activities Center (SAC 204).

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...