News Briefs 1/16

Spring Kickoff

Student Government and Canes Night Live will host Canes After Dark 8 p.m. on Friday at the Student Activities Center patio and along Miller Drive. Entertainment will include free food, fried Oreos, caricature drawings, henna tattoos, food trucks and live music.

Arts Festival

The 63rd annual Beaux Arts Festival of Art will take place on campus Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The festival will feature more than 220 art exhibitors, live music and dining options. Admission and parking are free and open to the public.

Quantum Auditions

Quantum will host auditions for its production of “Avenue Q” from 1 to 6 p.m. on Saturday in the University Center Flamingo Ballroom D.  Those interested in auditioning are asked to prepare a one-minute contemporary monologue and 16 bars of a modern musical theatre song.

Service Day

The Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service 2014 will take place on Monday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Volunteers will work alongside community members to transform Homestead Middle School in the City of Homestead. Service projects include painting murals, planting gardens, landscaping and building benches. For more information, visit the Butler Center for Service and Leadership in the Student Activities Center (SAC 204).

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

About Author

Ashley Martinez Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...