Use UM resources to stay sane during finals

Finals are here, and with only one reading day this year, students may find themselves more stressed than usual. This year, the semester ends on a Tuesday and finals begin that Thursday. In the past, classes have ended on a Friday with finals beginning the following Wednesday, giving students four days in between. Though the turnaround time is shorter, there are still ways to maximize your time and stay stress-free as you go through finals.

One way to stay stress-free during finals is to actually use that one reading day to prepare for upcoming exams. Though it may be tempting to sleep the entire day away, don’t do it if you have finals later that week. Take time to rest and eat, as both of those things are crucial to you performing well, but also make sure that you stay productive. Also, check with your professors to see if they will be having extended office hours or a review session during reading days, if not sooner. Professors are holding these things for your benefit, not theirs, so don’t pass up the opportunity to get the additional help if you know that you need it.

Another resource on campus is the Academic Resource Center (ARC). They have, in the past, offered review sessions for the major classes such as MTH 161, CHM 111 and ACC 211. Be on the lookout for emails and flyers advertising these services because they can be very beneficial and the only thing they cost you is time. If large study groups are not your thing, the ARC also offers regular individual tutoring. However, if you feel that you are going to need tutoring, especially if it is in a popular subject, be sure to put in your request as soon as possible. Sometimes pre-professional student organizations will offer free tutoring so be on the lookout for that as well.

If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed and as though things are spiraling out of control, you can make an appointment to visit the counseling center. They also accept walk-in appointments. Everything is confidential and the counselors are trained professionals there to assist you, regardless of what your need may be. There are also going to be study breaks on campus. Go to as many of them as you can, because they are meant to help you relax and not get to a point of extreme stress. Also, there are usually free snacks and coffee at the study breaks, and who doesn’t love that?

Regardless of how many finals or papers you may have, it is very possible to survive finals week with your sanity intact. Just use your time wisely, seek help if you need it, and keep moving forward. The semester will be over before you know it.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...