Edge, Q & A + Profiles, Reviews

Mat Kearney takes Lauderdale Live audience on successful first date

Holding a music festival during South Florida’s busiest cultural weekend doesn’t sound like the brightest idea. But for those who attended Lauderdale Live instead of Art Basel from Friday through Sunday, it was a rare opportunity to have an intimate experience with the musicians (by default of having such a small crowd in attendance).

Mat Kearney, the “Ships in the Night” singer who got his start in 2006 with the album “Nothing Left to Lose,” performed in Downtown Fort Lauderdale’s Huizenga Plaza Saturday night, and took advantage of this atmosphere.

During his set, Kearney adopted an anything-goes approach, which made for a memorable experience.

“Tonight was unique,” he told The Miami Hurricane.

Kearney broke typical concert rules when he asked the crowd to shout out their requests and performed a song that his band didn’t even know how to back: “City of Black & White,” the title track off his third album that he rarely plays for an audience.

“With a music festival like this, it’s not like a small venue where everyone comes for you. It’s kind of like a first date,” Kearney said. “The challenge is to win them over. You’re hoping to at least get a kiss at the end of the night.”

As if this weren’t enough, Kearney again strayed from the beaten path during one of his songs, free-styling comical yet impressively smooth lyrics about the crowd in front of him. And finally, he jumped off the stage and into the small crowd to interact with every person there – all while holding a note.

Although it may have seemed to the audience like this spontaneity is the norm for Kearney – a man who decided to quit college in California and follow a friend to Nashville to pursue his music career – he says he can be quite analytical.

“I come from a family of lawyers,” Kearney explained.

The good news for great fans: This methodical musician is now working on his next album. It’s been in the works for about a year, but Kearney only recently hit the studio.

“I officially started recording a couple of weeks ago in L.A. So I have a ton, almost 50 songs, but I’m narrowing it down and starting to finish the record,” he said.

Much like those off his last album, “Young Love,” Kearney says the songs will be beat-driven with a hip-hop sound.

“‘Ships in the Night’ was the leading point into this new album,” Kearney said, moving his hands as if he were steering a ship in a new direction.

And the multitalented man hasn’t limited his focus to music-making. Kearney recently released a Napa Valley red wine called Verse and Chorus, which is now being sold at Whole Foods. For more information, visit wholefoodsmarket.com/wine.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...