Rhythm Nation brings variety to performances

Senior Tonisha DeBrito, junior Kenthia Farmer, senior Ayita Verna, and junior Victoria Hernandez perform with Rhythm Nation at the Finals Fiesta on Thursday night at the Hecht-Stanford Bridge. Hallee Meltzer // Staff Photographer

Rhythm Nation, a new dance organization, is making waves on campus by encompassing not only dance, but a variety of aspects of the performing arts.

As president of Rhythm Nation, junior Kenthia Farmer led the organization to its first win as a competitive dance team at the International Dance Competition (IDC), a yearly competition hosted by the Council On International Student Organizations (COISO).

“I was excited that the members were excited,” Farmer said. “For them to have the patience and dedication and excitement for the organization and feel the reward of working hard this semester was the most rewarding aspect for me.”

Not all members of Rhythm Nation are dancers, however. The group tries to recruit members who embody all elements of performing and is also open to makeup artists, costume designers, stage managers and hair stylists.

For many members of Rhythm Nation, being in the organization meant a new sense of belonging in a group distinct from other dance groups on campus.

“It’s given me a lot of opportunities to grow and dance and try different styles and be a leader as well,” sophomore Kenya Tay said.

Members of the organization also aim to promote diversity and acceptance of everyone, regardless of talent. Sonny Huynh is a sophomore who specializes in popping and electric dancing.

“I’ve been dancing for a few years now, and I wanted to join a group, but the others were too uptight,” he said. “Rhythm Nation is for everyone, even if you don’t know how to dance.”

For students who want to get involved, Rhythm Nation holds auditions at the beginning of each semester.

Ashley McBride

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...