Political science department relocates to renovated art building

The political science department will be housed in the renovated art building. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

The political science department has a new home in the renovated art building behind the Memorial Building, along with the departments of international studies and geography.

The political science department has been housed in the Business School. The move began two weeks before Thanksgiving break and is still a work in progress.

“There were even plans to merge international studies and political science together but for now, we are all just in the same space,” associate professor Louise K. Davidson-Schmich said.

Although unsure what will happen to the newly opened space, Arthur Simon, an undergraduate student adviser, believes the move made sense because the political science degree is no longer a major in the Business School.

Simon said that the City of Coral Gables and the University of Miami agreed to renovate the building because it is one of the older ones on campus.

For students, the change will be a positive one. Since many students double major in both political science and international studies, it will be easier to have both departments closer to each other.

“At least now everything will be in one building,” said sophomore Janelle Rodriguez-Mena, a political science major. “Even though I don’t have any classes there, it’s nice to know that everything is organized into one area on campus.”

Many of the faculty members also teach for both majors, which makes it easier for professors as they do not have to walk too far from their offices, Simon said.

Additionally, the walk to the building is “equal distance” from the renovated building to Memorial and Memorial to the Business School, said Jonathan West, a professor of political science.

“Although students might have to get accustomed to the new location, the walk isn’t a bad thing,” Simon said.

For More Information:

The political science department moved to the renovated art building at 1300 Campo Sano Avenue. International studies and geography will also be housed in this building.

For more information, visit as.miami.edu/politicalscience.

Alina Zerpa

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...