News Briefs 12/5

Book Artist

The French Embassy Cultural Services and Richter Library’s Special Collections will present Didier Mutel, a book artist. He specializes in “old-school” techniques of designing books, using acid painting, calligraphy and bookbinding. The event will be held at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at the eighth floor of Richter Library. The general public is invited to attend. Parking is available on Memorial Drive in the lot behind the library. For more information and to RSVP, email asc.library@miami.edu or call 305-284-3247.

Commencement

Miami Heat President and Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame inductee Pat Riley will speak at the fall commencement ceremony. Commencement will take place at 10 a.m. on Dec. 19 at the BankUnited Center. The ceremony is only open to graduates and their guests. For more information, visit miami.edu/commencement. The ceremony will be webcast live and archived on this website.

Course  Evaluations

Course evaluations for fall 2013 do not close Monday and will instead end Dec. 23. Students were sent an email that shared the wrong deadline. Course evaluations can be accessed via this email or CaneLink. Responses are anonymous, and instructors do not have access to results before final grades are posted.

Oil Spill

A University of Miami RSMAS-led study to understand the path of oil and other pollutants in coastal areas began in Walton Beach, Fla., last Monday. In the Surfzone Coastal Oil Pathways Experiment (SCOPE), scientists will deploy GPS-equipped drifters and other instruments to study ocean currents along the coast to understand how oil moves onshore in the event of a spill. This research is made possible by a grant from the Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI). The GoMRI is a 10-year, $500 million independent research program established by an agreement between BP and the Gulf of Mexico Alliance to study the effects of the Deepwater Horizon incident and the potential associated impact of this and similar incidents on the environment and public health. The SCOPE Experiment is a project of the UM-based CARTHE. The CARTHE program includes 26 principal investigators from 12 research institutions in eight states. These scientists are engaged in the development of a suite of integrated models and state-of-the-art computations that bridge the scale gap between existing models and natural processes. For more information about CARTHE, please visit carthe.org or on Facebook at facebook.com/carthe.gomri.

Alexander Gonzalez may be emailed at news@themiamihurricane.com. 

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...