SG plans for a stunning spring

Well, that was a nice and long break. We hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Welcome to the December edition of the monthly Student Government column. I’ll be wrapping up the semester and talking about a few things to keep an eye out for next semester.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), we’ve reached the end of the semester, and that means it is time for finals. Fear not, for SG is here to help. On Dec. 12, we will be holding the SG Study Break. From 6:30 to 7:15 p.m., there will be yoga on the Foote Green and at 7:15 p.m. we will have stress relieving activities and free food.

Looking toward next semester, we have a few really exciting things going on. At the beginning of the semester (Jan. 17 to be exact), SG and Canes Night Live are partnering to bring you Canes After Dark – Spring Kickoff. Like previous Canes After Dark events, it will be a lot of fun with tons of activities. We’re going to have live performances as well, so if you have a talent or skill you’d like to show off, shoot an email over to d.lorenzo4@umiami.edu and let us know what you can do.

Next semester also brings with it a new application cycle for Design-a-Course. This program gives students the opportunity to come up with a curriculum and teach a class in something that they are interested in. To give you an idea, last year there was a class about navigating the medical school application process. Getting a class approved takes some time, though, so it is important to start early. Keep an eye out early next semester for details.

Student Government elections will also take place next semester. Students can run for various Senate seats, as well as for president, vice president and treasurer. Filing begins Jan. 13 at 8 a.m., and more information will be made available on the Elections Commission OrgSync page. If you are interested in helping out with elections, applications to be an Elections Commissioner are currently available on the “Get Involved” tab on miami.edu/sg.

Good luck with finals, have a great winter break and don’t forget to turn off your electronics before you leave.

Adam Orshan is a senior majoring in international finance and marketing.

Adam Orshan

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...