Take pride in classroom attire

The closer we get to graduation, the more important it is to prepare ourselves for adulthood and the real world. And that means dressing the part.

Especially for students who have left a high school with a uniform policy, college is a time to explore new things and dress to express personal style. But the key is to develop certain habits before it is too late: Avoid fashion faux pas and dress to impress.

There seems to be a game that many girls like to play on campus: How short is too short? This applies to dresses, skirts and shorts. There is a not-so-fine line between cute and tacky. While we don’t have to dress too professionally for class, we should show respect for other students on campus.

Beyond that, think about the professors. Inappropriate attire can make them uncomfortable, and it also allows them to form substandard opinions about you. Let’s refrain from drug-related tees, inappropriate shortness and tanks with gaping holes offering the rest of the campus a peek into your shirt, whether they want to or not.

Dressing more conservatively might gain you some respect and, in turn, better grades. In fact, it’s actually a consideration in certain classes with oral presentations. Professors also might feel disrespected by a major college trend – pajamas. Wearing pajama slippers to class yells “lazy” to everyone you pass. Congratulations on waking up for class. Now just change your pants.

Shoes (again, not slippers) are essential in everyday city life. But I have noticed people walking around campus barefoot. No shoes, yes problem. It is not only unhygienic, but also rather dangerous. Let’s protect our feet from blisters. Our campus is 10 miles away from the closest beach on Key Biscayne and South Beach. That means flip-flops are not appropriate, either. Dress yourself before you wreck yourself.

We have to remember that in a couple of years, or maybe even a couple of months, we will be transitioning into the professional world. That’s why it’s important to start getting used to dressing more professionally now.

There’s no need to wear a complete suit and tie to class, and a formal dress code would be too dramatic, but ask yourself: What am I presenting myself as? We are old enough to define our own style. Let yours be one that represents you in the best way possible.

Analicia Santaella is a senior majoring in public relations and art history.

Analicia Santaella

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...