Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

Opera singer balances school, musical career

Photo Courtesy Ariel Rose

Photo Courtesy Ariel Rose

For most of us, college is a balancing act. There are classes, homework, clubs, meetings, tutoring – not to mention the ever-present temptations that South Florida offers. But for sophomore Ariel Snihur, college isn’t just about making time for a Starbucks fix before psych – it’s about balancing a full-blown musical career with being a full-time college student.

Ariel Snihur, or Ariel Rose as she’s known in the music world, is a student at the Frost School of Music. She has also released a full-length album, along with several other singles, and is a regular performer throughout Florida. November marked the release of the music video for her song, “Get Somebody Up (On the Dance Floor),” a pop track with an infectious beat.

The Miami Hurricane got the chance to sit down with Snihur to talk about her career and how she copes with being a singer and a student.

Pop to Opera

Snihur has been pursuing music from the time she was 6 years old. Growing up, she sang pop and musical theater all around her hometown of Miami. In fact, she released her first CD, “Rhythms of Life,” when she was just 15.

The CD showcases Snihur’s strong pop vibe and the Latin influence of Miami, with singing in both English and Spanish. It was produced by Juan Vincente Zambrano, who was nominated for several Latin Grammy awards.

However, Snihur also has an interest in an entirely different genre of music.

“I was taking lessons with my vocal coach down here and he said, ‘Oh, why don’t you try singing some opera,’” recalled the singer.

At first, she was not too keen on the idea. However, opera became an important part of her life and her music. She even chose to study it here at UM.

“Opera is the best training you could possibly get,” Snihur added.

Chasing Opportunities

Described on her website as the “‘Go To’ Girl for the National Anthem,” Snihur regularly performs at sporting events for teams such as the Marlins and the Panthers, as well as at many other venues around Florida.

Snihur has also had the opportunity to not only attend the Latin Grammy awards twice, but to perform at one of the Latin Grammy street parties in New York and walk the carpet.

These experiences have made singing in front of a stadium second-nature.

“If there’s three people, I’ll get a little bit nervous, but if there’s 20, 30, 40,000 people, I’m so calm,” she said.

Under Pressure

However, the life of an artist does have its struggles. In addition to balancing the chaotic schedule of a musician, Snihur is taking 12 classes this semester at Frost and is a sister of the sorority Alpha Delta Pi.

“I go crazy, honestly,” admitted Snihur of her hectic schedule.

But she continues to balance a professional and academic career well while recording and performing. Doing so requires constant focus and effort.

“Even when I’m about to sing at a stadium, I’ll be writing an essay right before I go on,” she said with a laugh.

To find out about upcoming performances and see the video for “Get Somebody Up (On the Dance Floor),” check out Snihur’s website, iamarielrose.com.

Marlee Lisker

Sophomore Bruce Brown announced Thursday that he has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, the University ...

Lots of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday, with the second spring practice session set for Thursday mo ...

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

Women’s Commission’s 47th annual breakfast honors those who stand up to make a difference for women ...

The Kislak Center opens, aims to advance new forms of scholarship and build bridges across the Unive ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s Miami-spiced book talk spotlighted the One Book, One U initiative. ...

As part of the “It’s On Us” initiative, the former vice president urged the UM community to help com ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Chalk round two up to Raymond Gil, who made amends with a walk-off single to send the Hurricanes pas ...

The Hurricanes set two school records in the men's throws and had two female student-athletes p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was on the verge of knocking down top-ranked Wake For ...

The University of Miami volleyball team hosts Florida Atlantic University at the James L. Knight Spo ...

The University of Miami Hurricane Club is excited to announce the official 2018 Building Champions S ...