News Briefs 11/21

Great American Smokeout

Join in The Great American Smokeout on Thursday from noon to 2 p.m. There will be free counseling, free food, free blood pressure screenings, a sign up for free nicotine replacement, straw tests and taste strips. This event is sponsored by the American Cancer Society and was established to encourage smokers to not smoke on that day and make plans to quit smoking for good. Visit miami.edu/smokefree to find resources to quit smoking.

Sebastian for Charity

Sebastian the Ibis was caught stepping on the University seal. He has been arrested for charity and all bail money to set him free will benefit the United Way. This will take place from 1 to 3 p.m. on Thursday on the UC Rock.

Dance Competition

The International Dance Competition 2013 “Happily Ever After” will take place at 8 p.m. on Thursday on the Rock. Amateur and professional dance teams will showcase various cultural dances and movements. Light refreshments will be served.

Toy Drive

Each year the Butler Center for Service and Leadership coordinates the collection of gifts for underprivileged residents of Miami. The toy collection for Holiday Hope Tree, the university’s longest running holiday toy drive, will take place until Dec. 16. Anyone may drop off new and unwrapped toys to the UC info desk. For more information or to get involved, email holidayhopetree@gmail.com.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...