Administration, News

Coral Gables Commission, university discuss partnership

City of Coral Gables Commission met with University of Miami administration Tuesday in a public meeting as part of the Development Agreement that was passed in 2010.

The Development Agreement was intended to engage in a better rapport between the city and the university in regards to the welfare of Gables citizens and the UM’s community. The agreement lays out campus improvements, and Gables citizens can take advantage of the university’s cultural and athletic activities.

As part of the agreement, Gables officials agreed to meet with UM Board of Trustees to update each other on the program’s progress.

Trustee Leonard Abess described the agreement as “critical for all of us.”

On UM’s part, President Donna E. Shalala, Joe Natoli and Board of Trustees members attended. For the city, Coral Gables Mayor Jim Cason, City Manager Pat Salerno and city commissioners were present.

Among the discussed updates, Natoli, UM vice president for business and finance, described the effect of UM’s Mobility Plan. Traffic in residential areas was reduced to 28 percent, from 2011 to the present. There was also a 37 percent average reduction in peak traffic volumes near residential areas from 1992 to 2013.

Natoli also reviewed the university’s infrastructure projects like the finished construction of the Student Activities Center (SAC), the Schwartz Athletic Center and the Neuroscience Building and Health Annex located next to the Cox Science Center.

Salerno then discussed improvements in the city, which include seven additional police officers and various renovations to roads. Gables is competing against 13 other cities in the United Nations-endorsed LivCom Awards that recognize the Most Livable City.

Though the university and the city praised each other’s efforts throughout the meeting, Salerno shared one concern: the lack of onion rings at the Rat.

After the meeting, the Rat added an item to the menu as a special called the SalernORINGS.

“We’re happy to revive the onion rings item on the Rat menu, and dub them ‘SalernORINGS’ in honor of our esteemed alumnus and City Manager for our home city of Coral Gables, Pat Salerno,” said Patricia Whitely, UM vice president for Student Affairs.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...