Basketball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 11/18

Women’s Basketball

The Miami women’s basketball team fell to Middle Tennessee, 61-55, at the BankUnited Center on Friday. The Canes hung tough with the Blue Raiders for most of the game, but never managed to reclaim a lead after a 36-36 tie in the second half.

“We just didn’t play with any strategy tonight,” coach Katie Meier said. “We didn’t have a strategic approach to the game.”

Jassany Williams snagged 17 rebounds, a career high for the Miami junior.

Cross Country

Five runners posted record times at the 2013 NCAA South Regional this past weekend. Miami had eight representatives compete in total, including senior Sean Pezzulo, who set a UM record in the men’s 10K.

Pezzulo finished in 31:29, good for 54th place among 173 runners in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

“Sean had to battle back from injuries during the season,” coach Damon Griffiths said. “That makes today’s performance even sweeter.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...