News, Student Government

Organizations meet to discuss campus life, future collaborations

Student Government (SG) hosted the first “Eat-and-Greet” Wednesday night in Eaton Residential College.

The event provided an opportunity for students and organizations to get acquainted over dinner with SG and talk about ways to improve campus life.

The Eat-and-Greet is part of the larger SG initiative called “Student Government Comes to You” event that intends to form a connection between SG and students.

Invitations were sent out to different student groups to get everyone involved, said Nicole Garcia, executive at large external for SG. Representatives from different branches of SG like the Freshman Leadership Council were present to answer specific student questions.

“We’re here both as teachers and learners,” said Justin Miranda, a member of Freshman Leadership Council.

The event attempted to make it as convenient as possible for students to reach out and communicate with different organizations from campus such as Category 5.

“The goal of this event was to connect with students, connect with student organizations, and just let them know we’re here,” said Adam Orshan, SG press secretary.

SG met students in a comfortable and informal setting, eating sandwiches together as they discussed ways to collaborate.

“We wanted to make it very informal, where students from all over could come and reach out and give us that feedback on different ways to improve life on campus for everybody,” Garcia said.

The event not only allowed students and organizations to learn more about SG, but it also allowed them to provide any suggestions.

By sharing feedback and providing insight, students gave SG an idea of their priorities, allowing them to better represent the student population’s concerns on campus.

“We’ve had a few questions about getting involved,” Garcia said. “Some others have been from actual organizations, thinking about ways to team up with us. It’s been a good variety.”

Orshan said that the event served as a way to help organizations communicate with SG and discuss student groups’ activities.

“We’re here to help them and figure out how we can work together,” he said.

Emily Dabau

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...