News, Student Government

Organizations meet to discuss campus life, future collaborations

Student Government (SG) hosted the first “Eat-and-Greet” Wednesday night in Eaton Residential College.

The event provided an opportunity for students and organizations to get acquainted over dinner with SG and talk about ways to improve campus life.

The Eat-and-Greet is part of the larger SG initiative called “Student Government Comes to You” event that intends to form a connection between SG and students.

Invitations were sent out to different student groups to get everyone involved, said Nicole Garcia, executive at large external for SG. Representatives from different branches of SG like the Freshman Leadership Council were present to answer specific student questions.

“We’re here both as teachers and learners,” said Justin Miranda, a member of Freshman Leadership Council.

The event attempted to make it as convenient as possible for students to reach out and communicate with different organizations from campus such as Category 5.

“The goal of this event was to connect with students, connect with student organizations, and just let them know we’re here,” said Adam Orshan, SG press secretary.

SG met students in a comfortable and informal setting, eating sandwiches together as they discussed ways to collaborate.

“We wanted to make it very informal, where students from all over could come and reach out and give us that feedback on different ways to improve life on campus for everybody,” Garcia said.

The event not only allowed students and organizations to learn more about SG, but it also allowed them to provide any suggestions.

By sharing feedback and providing insight, students gave SG an idea of their priorities, allowing them to better represent the student population’s concerns on campus.

“We’ve had a few questions about getting involved,” Garcia said. “Some others have been from actual organizations, thinking about ways to team up with us. It’s been a good variety.”

Orshan said that the event served as a way to help organizations communicate with SG and discuss student groups’ activities.

“We’re here to help them and figure out how we can work together,” he said.

Emily Dabau

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...