News, Student Government

Organizations meet to discuss campus life, future collaborations

Student Government (SG) hosted the first “Eat-and-Greet” Wednesday night in Eaton Residential College.

The event provided an opportunity for students and organizations to get acquainted over dinner with SG and talk about ways to improve campus life.

The Eat-and-Greet is part of the larger SG initiative called “Student Government Comes to You” event that intends to form a connection between SG and students.

Invitations were sent out to different student groups to get everyone involved, said Nicole Garcia, executive at large external for SG. Representatives from different branches of SG like the Freshman Leadership Council were present to answer specific student questions.

“We’re here both as teachers and learners,” said Justin Miranda, a member of Freshman Leadership Council.

The event attempted to make it as convenient as possible for students to reach out and communicate with different organizations from campus such as Category 5.

“The goal of this event was to connect with students, connect with student organizations, and just let them know we’re here,” said Adam Orshan, SG press secretary.

SG met students in a comfortable and informal setting, eating sandwiches together as they discussed ways to collaborate.

“We wanted to make it very informal, where students from all over could come and reach out and give us that feedback on different ways to improve life on campus for everybody,” Garcia said.

The event not only allowed students and organizations to learn more about SG, but it also allowed them to provide any suggestions.

By sharing feedback and providing insight, students gave SG an idea of their priorities, allowing them to better represent the student population’s concerns on campus.

“We’ve had a few questions about getting involved,” Garcia said. “Some others have been from actual organizations, thinking about ways to team up with us. It’s been a good variety.”

Orshan said that the event served as a way to help organizations communicate with SG and discuss student groups’ activities.

“We’re here to help them and figure out how we can work together,” he said.

Emily Dabau

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...