Appreciate the sacrifices military families make

There have been stories in the past of anti-war groups protesting at military funerals or other events that honor the military. People have the right not to agree with war – I myself do not support it – but there is a time and a place for everything. What few people realize is the extremely high price that soldiers and their families have to pay.

My father is a sergeant in the Army Reserves and he did a tour of duty in Iraq for 18 months. Because he was overseas, there weren’t a lot of phone calls, just a few intermittent letters. I was also unable to see my father for about two years. Every time I turned on the news and saw that more troops had been killed or injured, I always worried that it was my father until I heard from him.

My grandfather and his brother served in the Air Force during Vietnam as paratroopers. My grandfather returned from Vietnam, but his brother did not. He landed on a land mine during one of their jumps. I remember how, when I went to the Vietnam Memorial in D.C., my grandfather asked me to bring back a rubbing of his brother’s name. As I showed it to him, I could see just how much it meant to him.

I am fortunate in that the majority of my family members have made it back from war, but other families have not been so lucky. There are families torn apart by the loss of a loved one overseas each day. There are also those who have been forced to relocate time and time again because of a parent being on active duty.

Veterans Day is not just any other day to me. It’s a day to appreciate the sacrifices of countless men and women, so that we can enjoy the freedoms we take for granted. If you see a veteran, thank and honor him or her because not everyone is willing to die for this country.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...