Appreciate the sacrifices military families make

There have been stories in the past of anti-war groups protesting at military funerals or other events that honor the military. People have the right not to agree with war – I myself do not support it – but there is a time and a place for everything. What few people realize is the extremely high price that soldiers and their families have to pay.

My father is a sergeant in the Army Reserves and he did a tour of duty in Iraq for 18 months. Because he was overseas, there weren’t a lot of phone calls, just a few intermittent letters. I was also unable to see my father for about two years. Every time I turned on the news and saw that more troops had been killed or injured, I always worried that it was my father until I heard from him.

My grandfather and his brother served in the Air Force during Vietnam as paratroopers. My grandfather returned from Vietnam, but his brother did not. He landed on a land mine during one of their jumps. I remember how, when I went to the Vietnam Memorial in D.C., my grandfather asked me to bring back a rubbing of his brother’s name. As I showed it to him, I could see just how much it meant to him.

I am fortunate in that the majority of my family members have made it back from war, but other families have not been so lucky. There are families torn apart by the loss of a loved one overseas each day. There are also those who have been forced to relocate time and time again because of a parent being on active duty.

Veterans Day is not just any other day to me. It’s a day to appreciate the sacrifices of countless men and women, so that we can enjoy the freedoms we take for granted. If you see a veteran, thank and honor him or her because not everyone is willing to die for this country.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...