Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

‘Le Populaire’ pays tribute to the ’50s with standout scenery

Populaire movie“Le Populaire” // France – available for instant streaming on Netflix

Set in the 1950s, when the typewriter revolutionized the meaning of the modern woman, “Le Populaire” follows the comic turn of events that lead a clumsy, small-town girl to compete for the title of fastest typist. Thanks to its charming tribute to the ’50s – everything from flouncy dresses to TV commercials is delightfully pink – it is not bogged down by feminist implications.

The story is relevant to any era: It simply illustrates the joys of perfecting a task, which is too easily dismissed as trivial.

Like the rigorous training that the secretary in the movie undergoes, the movie is rigorous in its loyalty to the ’50s. Its careful choice of waltz-jazz songs, ballet-inspired gestures and cute dialogue are references to the great films of the era. Despite not having any musical numbers, the movie floats with the same levity as the classic musical “Singing in the Rain” – only instead of tap shoes and dancing feet, “Le Populaire” indulges in the sound of type keys and shows off dancing hands.

Orchestrated as tightly as a staged dance, with every minimal gesture planned out with the mission to charm in mind, “Le Populaire” is difficult not to fall for immediately from the opening scene.

Luisa Andonie

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...