News Briefs 10/31

Pitch competition 

The Launch Pad will host the 2013 Elevator Pitch Competition as part of Global Entrepreneurship Week. Students who are running a business in South Florida and who are 16 or older and currently attending high school or a degree-granting college may enter the Student Pitch Contest.  Community entrepreneurs may also submit in the Community Pitch Contest category. Online submissions are due Sunday at thelaunchpad.org./pitchcontest.

Water Project site

The Net Zero Water Treatment System Public Tour will be at 5:30 p.m. Friday to show the kind of research the university is conducting to develop design principles for low-energy, low-emissions, net-zero water buildings. The tour will take place at the University Village courtyard and the Albenga Garage. To reserve a spot, contact netzerowaterdorm@miami.edu.

Blood drive

Beginning Monday, students, faculty, staff, administrators and other employees may donate blood in the SAC Ballrooms from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day until Wednesday.

Homecoming 

The final round of the Homecoming King and Queen competition will at 8 p.m. Monday in the SAC Ballrooms . Eight men and eight women will compete for the “Mr. & Ms. U-Ville” king and queen crowns.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...