Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Alumnus reflects

As an alumnus, I recall the university attempting to squash the image of Suntan U. While the university accepted the vast majority of applicants for financial reasons, it weeded out many new students during their first semester to support a tough academic reputation. As a biology major, this was proven with there being many sections of biology 101 during freshman year, and only one section of developmental biology by year three. I saw many new students flock to the beach or the pool in place of the classroom, only to find them missing come the spring semester. The Suntan U T-shirt that sold in the bookstore was banned during my days at the U. The biology program was ranked as one of the top in the country, right behind Stanford. I had to study up to eight hours a day, at least five days a week to keep up. Yet my fellow business and social science students studied much less for the same grades.

I cherish my education and my personal development which came to pass with my days at Miami. I am proud of the changes implemented by Presidents Stanford, Foote and Shalala. I am proud of where the University is today and most importantly, I am very proud to be an alumnus. My days as an RA resulted in a career in higher education which has lasted over 30 years. I have held the position of dean at four different institutions, worked with a professional football team for a few years, and have served in an elected position in my town for eight years. I owe much of this success to the great education and great times which I experienced at the U.

Dave Bergen ’78

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...