V's Take

Dear V: How can I put out at work …

V,
I have a bit of a problem. You see, I like this guy at work, but I’m not sure how to approach the situation. We started working together a few months ago, but we didn’t really talk until a few weeks ago. He’s so cute and funny and nice. I don’t want this to end in an awkward situation, but I want to act on it … I’m just too scared. Help!

Sincerely,

An Awkward Mess

Dear Maggie Jordan,

We’ve all seen this situation many a time and every time it’s painful to watch the two lovers teeter in and out of admitting their blatant sexual frustration. It’s a story line that’s so overdone, it almost seems fabricated in real life.
The best approach to this situation is to get to know this person outside of the work environment. Engage in some office pal outings and see if the two of you are compatible without computer screens and status reports as a buffer.
I’m sure he’s a decent enough person that even if he doesn’t reciprocate, he’ll still be friendly with you at work and won’t make things awkward. I get that putting yourself out there is a risk we’re not always willing to take but it’s important to follow your instincts.
Just stay away from boning the boss – that’s never a good thing and people are just going to think you’re a straight up hussy. And you don’t want to be a hussy.
People love attention, so as soon as you start batting your eyelashes and showing some interest, this guy is sure to fall straight into your lap.
Just make sure he doesn’t start dating your best friend and then breaks up with her and then takes a “Sex And The City” bus tour and then you kiss him and someone records it and puts it on YouTube. That’s no good.

Advice Columnist

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...