Serve up some spooky spirits

It’s the season of pumpkins, cooler weather and the thrills of Halloween. With the holiday falling on Thursday, when everyone is looking to unwind, it’s the perfect chance to mix up some special drinks. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s drink suggestions, inspired by Pinterest pins.

1 1/4 oz. Smirnoff Vanilla Twist

1/2 oz. Godiva White Chocolate liqueur

1/4 oz. half and half

1/4 oz. simple syrup

Directions: Combine ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into martini glass and serve.

Apple Cinnamon Sangria

1 cup water

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 cinnamon sticks, snapped in half

1 750 ml. bottle of cidre bouche, or dry French sparkling apple cider (make sure it’s very cold)

1/2 cup Calvados

1 apple, any variety, cored and thinly sliced

Directions: Heat water, sugar and cinnamon sticks together over medium-high heat. When sugar dissolves, shut off heat and let the syrup steep until it cools. Combine the syrup, the cider, the Calvados and the sliced apples in a jug. Stir, and serve immediately.

Black Velvet

Black Vodka

Creme de cassis

Sparkling cranberry juice

Directions: Fill a glass with ice. Add one measure of Black Vodka or one drop of black food coloring to clear vodka. Add one small measure of creme de cassis. Top with sparkling cranberry juice and stir.

Bloody Cosmopolitan

1 oz. vodka

2 oz. triple sec

1 oz. blood orange juice

1/2 oz. pomegranate juice

1 slice blood orange for garnish

Sugar for glass

Directions: Rim martini glass using the blood orange and sugar. Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and pour into a glass over ice.

Check out these nonalcoholic options:

2 (6 oz.) cans limeade, frozen concentrate, thawed

3 cups lemon-lime soda

3 1/2 cups green sports drink

Food coloring

Directions: Combine limeade, soda and sports drink in pitcher. Add five drops of appropriate food coloring (green makes this look ghastly) and stir. Add ice and garnish glasses with whipped cream.

Graveyard punch

2 liters diet root beer

24 gummy worms, more if desired

1 pint low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt

1 pint low-fat chocolate frozen yogurt

Directions: Make root beer ice cubes by freezing soda into ice cube trays overnight. Add one gummy worm to each cube before freezing. Line bottom of punch bowl with scoops of frozen yogurt, and add remaining root beer to make “slush.” Add root beer cubes and serve.

Amanda Wood

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...