News Briefs 10/28

Yearbook Portraits
Starting at 10 a.m. Monday, students will be able to take their yearbook portraits in the UC lower lounge until 4 p.m. Nov. 15. Underclassmen portraits are free. Seniors may reserve an appointment at ibisyearbook.com.

Immigration Reform
This semester, the university is featuring a course that examines immigration reform. Former Labor Secretary Carlos Gutierrez and activist Frank Sherry will give a lecture to the class at 5 p.m. Monday at the Storer Auditorium. For more information, email professor Joseph Uscinski at uscinski@miami.edu.

Communication Networking
The  Communication Networking Night will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. on Tuesday in the School of Communication Courtyard. Students will have the opportunity to meet and network with professionals in fields such as public relations, advertising, graphic design and multimedia. Refreshments will be served.

Master Course
Cuban blogger Yoani Sanchez, creator of the Generation Y blog, will offer a master class in Spanish at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. The class is open to all UM students and will be about civil opposition and the use of social media. The class will be at 1531 Brescia Ave. near the Coral Gables campus as part of the Certificate Program in Cuban Studies offered by the Institute for Cuba and Cuban American Studies.

‘Tomorrow’s Lawyers’
Professor Richard Susskind will be delivering a lecture based on his book, “Tomorrow’s Lawyers,” at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Newman Alumni Center. Susskind’s main area of expertise is the future of professional service and the way in which information technology and the Internet are changing the legal field.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...